Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 internal parts damage

8K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  mafiacustomz 
#1 ·
im rebuilding my 700r4 i pulled the input drom out and it looks like it was on a lathe their looks to be needle bearings sitting on the sun gear what i want to know dows this mean the trans is shot i cant use them parts now

#2 ·
mafiacustomz said:
im rebuilding my 700r4 i pulled the input drom out and it looks like it was on a lathe their looks to be needle bearings sitting on the sun gear what i want to know dows this mean the trans is shot i cant use them parts now
sorry guy, but with the limited info you provided and no pics to show what youre talking about, theres no way of telling you whats happened or what to do about it.

#5 ·
you need to dig deeper. theres a front planetary that goes under the input drum. either youre seeing needles from the roller bearings from the planet or a roller type washer has failed.
as far as what you see on the input drum. it does look pretty gouged but, as long as what you see is on the outside, i dont think its that big of a deal to reuse. maybe just hit it with some sand paper to smooth it out.

#6 ·
its not as bad as it looks you cant realy feel how deep it is its super shallow i didnt wat to take the trans down any more until i made sure i can still use these parts. I dont know where these needle bearing came from today i will go take the input gear out thin the sun gear and hope to see just a bad bearing that i can replace.

#8 ·
You need to get the trans fully apart. Then clean up the parts , cept for the obvious blown up stuff.

It may be cheaper to buy a core trans for replacement parts or start over with a 2nd core to build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.