700R4 into 79 Chevy Truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 into 79 Chevy Truck

I'm CONSIDERING a 700r4 into my 79 C10. Ive swapped transmission types in these trucks before, 350 to 400, mt to at, etc but only with transmissions that were available in those trucks. A 700r4 was not available in 79. The holes are all in the frames for all the transmissions that were available that year but since a 700r4 wasnt available i would guess that i would have to drill new holes for the crossmember (am i right?) which sounds like a pain in the a** since you really need to drill from the top side of the frame, but you cant get a drill in there strait. Also am i correct in believing that the trans linkage from a truck with an auto trans will hook up to the 700r4? I know the detent indicator will be off but i should be able to use it like normal except i wont be able to **** it into 1st gear manually. Would a column from a later truck bolt into this and all the wiring hook up? I have to change columns anyways, just dont know if all the wiring would transfer over or not. I know the 81+ columns have the wiper controls on the turn signal lever so i dont know if i could hook that up to my 79 and make it work or if i could convert that column over to use the old style turn signals and all that or not. Aside from these few issues i dont think it would be hard to swap in a 700r4. I know id need a special harness and control for the converter lockup but thats no biggie.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

If you have a TH350 short-tail in it now; then the crossmember needs to go back approx 2 " for the 700r4. The TH350 mount will be the same. The yoke will be the same. The Driveshaft will be around 2" too long. The coolant lines will work; you just have to bend them a little. Don't know about the shifter linkage. Read up on TV mounting geometry.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

From what I know, the shift linkage will hook up correclty.

The shift indicator is an easy swap, escpecially on a 79. Remove the gauge trim thingy, and the clear cover on the bezel and the indicator will come right off. There is no need to swap columns.

My blazer,and my 77 both had the crossmembers bolted to the bottom of the frame. Unless the 2wd trucks are different the crossmember should be on the bottom of the frame rail.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

The 2WD trucks have a 3 piece trans x-member with 14 bolts. One could get an extra long drill bit and do all the drilling from the bottom. The four bolts in the TOP rail point downward. 3/4" long bolts are fine here. You may have to loosen the cab bushings and raise the cab a little to get these top bolts in. If you go UP through the TOP rail they can bury themselves into the sheetmetal of the cab. It's a PITA, but worth it.

Anything other than a TH350, you will be moving the x-member.

2.125" rearward for TH700R4.
"Dollars are like votes, except that they actually count."
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

This truck had a 3-on-the-tree manual trans. Ive since then swapped in a 400 but its been exposed to the elements so I'm not sure if its any good or not. The holes were in the frame already for the 400 trans, crossmember is the same for both trans, which means it would work for for a 350 too, I'm sure the holes are there for it as well.

This particular crossmember bolts from the top side on the passengers side of the frame and bolts to the outside of the frame on the drivers side. Its in kind of an L shape. On the drivers side it has a removable brace on it but i did not reinstall it and don't plan on it. I don't think the crossmember is going anywhere with the six 7/16" bolts that it has in it. In order to install the brace on the passenger side, id have to lift the cab up (as mentioned) to remove the bolts and then either install the bolts in the other location, or may have to raise the bed up instead i cant remember now. I don't think its necessary so I'm not gonna bother with it.

The 700r4 thing is just a consideration right now, id really like to have it but at the same time I pull a trailer around 6-7,000#. I don't know if the 700r4 could take that abuse or not. I don't plan to use this truck to pull that trailer often, its just a back up truck in case the other one breaks down or somethig, or something to use to haul something that wont fit in the back of the other truck (which is actually a suburban with a 6.5L diesel and 4l80e). Always wishing I had a pickup to haul something thats too big for the suburban ( like a refrigerator or bed, or a few fallen limbs, etc) but too small to mess with hooking up to a 16' flatbed trailer and dragging it all over hell.

The truck currently has a 3.07 gear, so OD would be worthless, but i do want to change to lower gears and in the mean time a 3.06 gear and lockup converter would still help. I can find this trans cheap too, so if the 400 is bad it would still be worth the conversion with all things considered.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Don't forget with the 700R4/4L60, 4L60E or 2004R etc. you're not supposed to haul/tow anything with the trans in O/D. Drive only for towing.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

Yep. Creates too much heat, just like running it with the converter unlocked or TV cable out of adjustment. Will burn em up. I'll be using a big cooler, but even so ill make sure not to pull in OD. Id like a 4L80E but that's a lil out of my budget right now. Last I saw the controller and wiring alone was $800+ and the transmission was $1500-$2000. Granted I can find a trans cheaper than that but who knows about the controller and wiring.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

you cna swap the indicator plate in the dash for the right one

the linkage is same on the tranny regardless of the model of tranny, there is a bolt in the shifter column rod that you can loosen to fine tune the length adjustment for the column shifter because sometimes when you swap another model of trans in it ends up slightly off for some unknown reason haha

you will not notice the extra range selection detent in the column(due to the extra range of the 700r4) and it doesnt matter anyways

hey do you still have the lower clutch linkage push rod,
clutch pedal and nut and clip and parts, the longer upper pedal pushrod, and the Z-bar pivot and related parts, and Z-bar frame and engine block-mounted pivot brackets from the 79 by chance ?

or at least the clutch pedal itself, and the longer upper clutch push rod?

because i have some older z bar parts i could probably make work even though are from and meant for the '63-72 trucks

if so pm me how much for them to 62656

id like to collect these so i can stick one of the old muncie 4 speed trannies we have in the truck, eventually

once i find an old aluminum or iron 11" bellhousing again anyways

thanks

Last edited by fast68; 03-09-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.