700R4 Kick stuck?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Kick down stuck??

I was driving 55kph and jumped on it to pass and now it seems stuck it wont shift out of first.. I checked the kickdown cable and it has full movement with the same tention is there somthing stuck inside????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Yes, it very well could be stuck. Before you remove the pan, try pulling the TV cable in and out very rapidly in full strokes to see if the plunger will un-stick. The tension should get stiffer about 1/2 way out. +/-

Fairly common problem due to wear and debris.

If you are ambitious, you could get a TransGO Jr. Shift Kit and install that. It will prevent this from happening again.

OR maybe a check ball has lodged in the seperator plate.

OR a governor gear has stripped.

...a number of things.

Last edited by C-10; 05-24-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:27 PM

700r4 stuck

i pulled on the tv cable as suggested for a while and there is no change
so when i take the pan off is the plunger easy to reach ? How hard is it to install a shift kit ???? I can fix most any thing on a car but have limitted exp on internal tranny repair....thanks again for your help........
Old 05-24-2008, 04:11 PM

700R4 Kick stuck??

I yanked on the cable like a maniac again as suggested just b4 i was going to remove the pan and after a miute i felt a differance in the tension so a road test gave me big relief THANK YOU it is shifting fine (but for how long ) i would like to take your advise and install the shift kit but i dont have much exp with the inside of trannys....r the kits stright forward ..I have one more question how do i hook up the torq lock (i put the transmission in an 1982 firebird there is no wireing hookup) but i have a plug for the 700r4-3 wires four holes ...What goes where ? this would be for a manual switch i assume..

THANK YOU again you are a big help......
Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 PM

700r4 link

I would suggest you look here and read there stuff. That plug you are talking about is where the wire gors for the unlock signal to go.
try bowtieoverdrives.com
Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM

700R4 Help

Omega69 I have a 700R4 with 180K miles on it in my 3rd gen Camaro. I have had good success with BowTie overdrives and currently use there bracket set up for my TV Cable. The trans and engine were out of the car when I installed a B & M transpak. You can set it up anyway you prefer; from performance to towing ,the instructions are very clear and it is not rocket science. The TV cable is PFM to me but it works very well when set up correctly, try Jet or any of the other performance trans names and look in the Summit & Jegs catalogs for "lock up" kits for the 700R4 that do not have a computer to command that function like yours. I found a bunch of broken springs in my trans when I did my transpak, I would recomend replacing the pump seal while you have the trans apart. Doing the above (at least to me) on a trans is like doing "top end/camshaft" work on an engine, you're not into crank bearings and clearances but fairly deep and if you take you time and read the directions you will be very happy with the result.

Good luck, you should hear the scratch I get 1st to 2nd!

Roy
Old 05-24-2008, 07:14 PM

700-r4

omega69, I forgot to tell you that bowTie Overdrives recommends using a 0 to 300lb fluid pressure guage to measure trans pressures and set your TV Valve it works great and need to get one.You will also be able to check the condition of your trans with this tool. I recommend doing BowTie Overdrives pressure test before and after your modifications. They are very helpful.

Roy
Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega69
I yanked on the cable like a maniac again as suggested.....
We got lucky there. GOOD.

The pic below shows a Throttle Valve assy. from a TransGo kit. I'm using a non-stock upshift sleeve on the left. As per instructions they tell you to re-use your stock sleeve. That's ok.

The little flat strap combined with the new black steel valve and springs is a solution for the stuck TV. There a few other things involved- all can be done with trans in car. You do however remove the valve body and separator plate.

Only you can decide if a shift kit is something within your scope. It's all in the details.

As far as lockup 'kits' they're are many out there. Choices choices.

I use a small push button switch on my shifter T-handle. The front outer pin in the case gets a switched +12v (push button or small toggle) to lockup in 4th gear. Some early 80's wiring is different, so find the year of your trans first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	30194  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.