Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 line bias valve and pressure regulator.
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

One thing I would like to make note of here about the line bias valve spring.. It has been my experience that blocking the line bias valve & raising line pressure on the EARLY 700's (82 through early '86 Non-aux) can have some seriously detrimental effects.

I can recall having blocked the line bias valve in an '85 trans and it made it hyper-sensitive to accelerator pedal movement. By that I mean if you bumped the gas pedal a bit, it would instantly down-shift to the next lower gear. The vehicle was almost undriveable as it had some really weird issues with shifting & holding gear. As soon as I un-blocked the line bias valve, the problems magically went away. I have never had that happen with 2nd gen. 700's, but have experienced it on numerous other occasions with the 1st gens. This is one of the reasons I stopped building the 1st gen 700's for performance applications. I found that my attempts at raising line pressure by way of boost valve, blocking line bias valve, & stiffer pump pressure regulator spring over-powered (over-pressured?) the valve body and basically rendered them non-operational or gave them super-funky shift characteristics. I never tried one of the re-programming kits that are available though and probably should have. Due to the other short-comings in the 1st. gens. I just stuck to 2nd. gens for performance apps.

Those of you with 1st gen. 700's be careful what you do with those VB's as they are a bit picky in my experience. The 2nd gens will work with blocked line-bias valves no problem. If you are modifying a 1st. gen. KEEP the original springs in case you have to go back in with them.