700r4 Lockup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 Lockup

I have a 1950 F1 with a SBC 350. It had a powerglide and I am changing the tranny to a 1985 Corvette 700r4. I am trying to find some easy ways to set up the lockup. I have seen kits, solenoids, 1 wire, 2 wire, mechanical electrical, vacuum, no vacuum. Which ones are quick and easy. This 700 does not seem to have a vacuum port and has a 4 prong plug for the lockup. Also will the Detent cable for the powerglide work with the 700r4. Any suggestion on mounts. This has two two parallel bolts for mounts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

Read this post,
The Chevy TH-700R4 Transmission.
then check this from the Wiki knowledge base.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ssions#THM700R
Hope this helps you.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelshaddai
I have a 1950 F1 with a SBC 350. It had a powerglide and I am changing the tranny to a 1985 Corvette 700r4. I am trying to find some easy ways to set up the lockup. I have seen kits, solenoids, 1 wire, 2 wire, mechanical electrical, vacuum, no vacuum. Which ones are quick and easy. This 700 does not seem to have a vacuum port and has a 4 prong plug for the lockup. Also will the Detent cable for the powerglide work with the 700r4. Any suggestion on mounts. This has two two parallel bolts for mounts.
As a suggestion for a solution to the lockup, this is the kit I used;TCI

I used this wiring schematic to make it more versatile. I wouldn't pay to much attention to the colors as they are specific to my vehicle.

As a suggestion for the TV cable, no, the powerglide detent cable won't work. I'd suggest you go to here and read up on their EZTV system. Works great on mine. I'd use it again.

Are you talking about the rear mount?

Hope this helps, ask questions if you need more.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

700r4 lockup setup

I have read many complicated ways to hook up a lockup for a 700r4. I need a simple explanation of how to use the four prong pigtail from the tranny( 1985 corvette, 700r4 and 350sbc) to the brake switch. Which wires go where? I heard it can be done without inside wiring or vacuum. Please help. I have the pigtail and brake switch.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

http://www.hotrodders.com/clusters/TH-700R4.html

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have read many complicated ways to hook up a lockup for a 700r4. I need a simple explanation of how to use the four prong pigtail from the tranny( 1985 corvette, 700r4 and 350sbc) to the brake switch. Which wires go where? I heard it can be done without inside wiring or vacuum. Please help. I have the pigtail and brake switch.
Read through this thread>
700r4 lock or unlock t converter
Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Hook 12 volts to the "A" hole in the 4 hole connector.

hook a ground wire to the "D" terminal... that may work on an early trans wire harness(internal) you have.

the Corvette trans has a shorter output shaft. I would suggest using a tail housing that has the mount holes - surface built in for a standard trans mount.

the out put shaft will not protrude out of the end of the tail housing like a standard length shaft does.

Image of the tail housing on a vette trans:

Last edited by Crosley; 07-30-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The TCI kit, and others, lets you install and forget. Which is what you want with a woman driving it. You don't have to install the switches or the relay as in my diagram.

The vacuum switch in TCI's kit is adjustable to your engine vacuum and your driving habits and conditions.

The TCI kit comes with great instructions and is not hard to do. While you are in there you can change the trans filter also.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 AM
General L33

A simplified break down of Overdriv's schematic:

Make sure pin D is connected to ground. Pin A goes to power that is on when the key is on, except when the brakes are applied. He wired the relay so it disconnects +12V from Pin A when the brakes are pressed to de-energize the torque converter solenoid in the transmission.

Some vehicles have the wire already on the brake switch, but I doubt your 1950 Ford does, so you'll have to wire up a relay like Overdriv did above.

Get a accessory relay from any parts store, but make sure it is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay. It will have a 87 pin and a 87a pin.

Referencing the schematic above, connect the following pins up. I'm changing Overdriv's schematic, he wired the relay differently, but you get the same results, mine is just a little more standardized;
85 to your brake lights
86 to ground
30 to switched power (ignition switch)
87a to pin A of transmission
87 is not connected

87a will have power until the brake switch is pressed.
87 will not have power until the brake switch is pressed, so if you wanted to put a third brake light or anything of that nature on your truck, this would be the perfect place to connect it.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Last edited by Hotwire; 08-03-2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Guys all good info here.

But why the heck are you using a relay when the TC solenoid only draws around 1 amp @14v...?

A standard 1157 bulb only draws around 1.9 amps with both elements lit. OEM's run the brake light circuit through a NC momentary switch...

But hey... that's just me..
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
General L33

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
Guys all good info here.

But why the heck are you using a relay when the TC solenoid only draws around 1 amp @14v...?

A standard 1157 bulb only draws around 1.9 amps with both elements lit. OEM's run the brake light circuit through a NC momentary switch...

But hey... that's just me..
The relay is to "reverse" the polarity of the brake light signal. The OEMs you are talking about didn't have the same switch back in the 50's. He could probably retrofit a newer style switch in place of the original, but I do not know what he already has got. The relay signal is powered UNTIL the brakes are pressed. So brake light on, TCC off. Brake light off, TCC on.

If a brake switch from a S-10 will fit in there, I can tell him exactly how to wire it up, but in the meantime, the relay is the short term answer.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Order a brake switch for a GM car/truck with a TH700R4. Problem solved. Auto parts stores readily stock them.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.