700r4 lockup, manual or vacuum? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 lockup, manual or vacuum?

Im converting a tbi motor to carb. since i wont be using the computer which controls the lockup i am hoping someone here has done this and can give their opinions on which one is better, manual or vacuum? the tranny has been built by a reputable shop with a transgo shift kit. everything done to it is just short of manual shift. it is going in a 89 4x4 chevy half ton with a 383. all opinions are appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM

700r4?

i did the same thing to my 95 4x4 i started with a 700r4 trans. to lock up the converter tci makes a lock up kit prt #376600 $79.99 from jegs works off of vac. as long as u have the tv {kick down} cable is ajusted right. it will work fine if its not u will burn it up in no time. u could also put in a high press valve body from tci its like $400.00. that eliminates the cable. I just put a th 350 in mine and i have no problems. hope this helps u out. later johnathan
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Definitely helps, thank you. I'll take a guess and say you were using an HEI dist. ? Also did you run into any unforseen problems while doing the mod.?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

There're dozens of Lockup Kits available from $15- $200.
Do a search on this site for " Lockup Kit " and tons of Info will come up.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Yes you will have to use the HEI dist. the computer controlled dist. you have now will not have the timing advance swing that you'll need. And as far as the 700r4 you will need the special adapter for your carb fuel lever to make the tv(detent) cable work properly! If you dont have it adjusted properly or have the right adapters you will burn the tranny's up pretty fast!! (AS I HAVE SEVERAL TIMES SO FAR) but as far as the correct adapters and such i'm not sure but there are alot of folks on hear that can help in that department!! As i changed to the th350 also with my truck..
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Rectum? Damn Near Killed Um!

TBI to CARB swap

In my ever growing project i have done this exact swap in a 1991 1500. To make it "go" you will need the carb and intake, hei dist, with the carb buy the tv corrector bracketry or else like everyone says you will burn a trans up quick. I found that the factory brackets to hold the tv cable and throttle was not correct so i bought/made one that better lines everything up. As far as lock up goes you can buy a kit or just set the tv cable correct and let it go, (mine has about 25000 miles on it since i did this swap and is still going strong, i haul/ tow a lot too). If you are using the stock fuel pump i highly suggest a return style fuel pressure regulator, (this helps a lot!). hope this helps
Old 11-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Vacuum setup could result in it going in and out of lock at certain speeds. Not ideal. bowtieOD sells a nice lockup kit for about $100 that locks up in 4th and only disengages when the brakes are applied. I went with that option. Thier kit comes with all necessary valves, plugs and wiring and comes with very easy to read instructions (which are also available on thier website www.700R4.com)
Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I like having full control over this function since I run a 4000 rpm stall converter. Some wire and a light up rocker switch is what locks up my converter. Of course any switch can be used (i.e. push button, toggle, etc.). The wire was on a spool I have and the switch is less than $1.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

old school

i used a hei dis. i changed the fuel system by making it old school took out the fuel pump and put rubber hose on the inlet tube where the pump was. then on the sending unit i blocked off the lines exsept the one for fuel to the engine and ran new line on the pass side of the truck and put a manual fuel pump on it and works fine. now im changing to big block.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM

hydraulic kits works awesome comes with springs to adjust lock up.MY camaro hits the lock up and it feels like you got 7 gears I have used all types and this is my favorite ...No wires
2 /lock up
3/lock up
4/lock up
Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Do Not use regular heat shrink or tape in the oil pan for the vb wires as it will denigrate..Just thought i would let you know

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.