Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 LockUp wiring diagram

119K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  va4cqd 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm brand new to the website, can you please clarify 1985 700R4 Lock-Up wiring diagram for me?

I've seen various wiring diagrams for 3-prong connectors, I need to know which is correct and why. Guidance is much appreciated.

Chev

pin-A to 12V source via 10amp fuse/toggle switch
pin-B to ground
pin-D to ground
or
pin-B to Pin-D
pin-D to ground
or
pin-B to Pin-D
nothing to ground.

#4 ·
Thank you Creepy, I wish you the best...

Thank you also 82 chevy p/u,

and now we're getting somewhere
pin a - 12v to fuse
pin b - to ground.

But now please let me clarify that mine is a non-computerized tranny so no computer to ground pin-D to.

One trans shop in my area said i need to hook up a vac-switch but wouldnt explain how, they wanted to do it for me for a few hunred $$-no thank you.
I will be visiting a few more trans shops in my area and should i find the answer i will post it here.

I've seen a wiring diagram on a post or website here or somewhere which included the vac switch, I'll look for that too. Problem is I really didnt want a vac switch included, I wanted to try straight tranny wiring with no other variable involved such as vacuum.

I thank you all for your input, including Crosley for that private message and will keep at it till kitten purrs.

Chev (not the actor)

#5 ·
The reason that you want the vacuum switch is that when you get on the throttle you want the torque converter to release the clutch so that the converter will multiply torque instead of just using the engine torque available. As soon as you are out of the throttle the converter will lock back up and you are good to go. You will also want a brake switch inline with the vacuum switch, not much thought needed there,,, as long as you are running a 4th gear switch on the valve body it should down shift and unlock the converter before you come to a stop anyhow. Good luck, Aaron

#6 ·
I have a similar question, I removed fuel injection of my truck and am running a carb

Could I put a toggle switch on the 12V power and ground out the other two wires to a common ground? Since the computer is no longer in the truck would this make sence. I am comfortable manually engaging and disengaging the lockup since this truck is manly for racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.