700r4 lost 2nd gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 lost 2nd gear

Hey guys, first time posting. Got in my 1990 gmc pu, took off, long shifted, took me about two corners to realize... where did 2nd gear go? Anybody got any answers? Tranny was fine day before, then like you turned a switch off... 2nd gear is gone. Any Ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79highboy
Hey guys, first time posting. Got in my 1990 gmc pu, took off, long shifted, took me about two corners to realize... where did 2nd gear go? Anybody got any answers? Tranny was fine day before, then like you turned a switch off... 2nd gear is gone. Any Ideas?
Is this a 1/2 ton truck ?

What is the mileage on the transmission if known?

have you noticed if overdrive ( 4th gear) is working?

Does the vehicle have reverse ?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 PM

700r4

yes a pick up used tranny but was really strong, it never slipped or anything weird just took off and didnt have second fluid is not burnt i dont get it i drive this truck every day i would have noticed something.. i just shifted throug gears manually a couple days ago and had it in 4wheel drive it was fine.maybe plug in valve body i don't now..
Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

What about Crosley's 2nd, 3rd & 4th questions??
Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
yes a pick up

used tranny but was really strong, it never slipped or anything weird just took off and didnt have second

fluid is not burnt

i dont get it

i drive this truck every day i would have noticed something.. i just shifted throug gears manually a couple days ago and had it in 4wheel drive it was fine.maybe plug in valve body i don't now..
I split up your post since you do not use punctuation much and the post is difficult to understand for me, I hope I have it correct.

as I asked before if this was a 1/2 ton truck... a 3/4 ton truck may have a different trans and this helps us for answers.

Most common , first questions asked in this business is : Year , make , model , engine size

As the truck sits now .. does it have reverse?

If it is a 4 speed automatic , does it have over drive(4th gear)?

Is the fluid level correct when the trans is warmed up?

post back when you have time .

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Okay, sorry about that. It is a 1990 GMC 1/2 ton 1500 4wd, with a 350. It does have reverse, does have overdrive, has good fluid, and am unsure about the mileage on it. So, I was thinking, it could be a solenoid, rather than a loose band. I've had bands go out in a transmission before, this is different, second was there one day, gone the next. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Okay, sorry about that. It is a 1990 GMC 1/2 ton 1500 4wd, with a 350. It does have reverse, does have overdrive, has good fluid, and am unsure about the mileage on it. So, I was thinking, it could be a solenoid, rather than a loose band. I've had bands go out in a transmission before, this is different, second was there one day, gone the next. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

That is not a electronic trans , a solenoid does not shift that transmission

If there is no second and yet over drive operates that is unusual. The same band is for 2nd gear and 4th gear. The servo that applies the band is a multi= stage servo.

I would speculate that the band is worn out.

You may be able to patch the trans with a longer servo pin to apply the band in 2nd gear.

You may have a damaged 2nd gear accumilator for 2nd gear. This is inside the trans pan. Held on with 3 bolts , separate from the main valve body.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Crosley, thank you so much for your information. You have been very helpful, I'll pull the pan off, investigate and get back here with my findings. Thanks again, you've been a big help. I appreciate any information.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM

700r4 lost 2nd gear

check the plastic gear on the governor. if it's bad, pull the tailshaft and check the center support for the output shaft.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.