Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 lost 3rd gear
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the great information. That is a good price on the reinforced input drum with billet shaft. I'm still concerned though about taking out my 3-4 clutches. Obviously, you have experience with the units. Do you really think I can keep my 3-4 clutch together with the factory design? I know my power level isn't that high. I'm just worried about the high rev shift points. I plan on building another engine in the next few years that will make 600+HP. It will be a high rev engine too, likely peak power at 7,000. I'm afraid that I'll keep taking out 3rd gear every few years and I'd rather spend the extra$$ now to prevent that. I do however love the idea of saving $100s. Eventually, once I build the new motor, I know I'll need to completely redo the trans.

I figured it would take a hyd press to R&I the shaft. We have a 20ton at the shop but it is a pile and the frame has been sprung so that the ram is is crooked. If need be, I could have a good machinist do the swap for me. Of course, if I go with the drum and shaft from CK, I don't have to worry about that.

Another question: what is the real difference between split turbine shaft sealing rings and the solid white teflon rings? Is the solid ring really better than the split ring? The solid takes a special tool to install.