Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 lost 3rd gear
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Im not sure what went into the trans as it sits. I know that I had trouble with 3rd gear and the guys had to redo the trans three times over a one year period to make it hold up. I hate customers who pretend that they don't thrash on their cars and them blame the tech for repeated failures. I was dead honest with the people who built this trans. I took the lead guy for a ride to show him what kind of power I was making and how I want it to shift.

They built the trans to hold every gear to 6,500, hold 4th gear at full throttle, and to last without failure. I would imagine they had to install the rev kit. I'm also thinking about the rapid relief valve. I do sometimes down shift from 3rd to 2nd at higher speeds. I worry that I may have shortened the 3-4 clutch pack's life by dragging the clutches on this downshift. Maybe not. I would think that this would be evident by burning of the 2-4 band.

The plastic bottle material sounds like a great idea for installing the teflon no split rings. At this point, Im not thinking of a total overhaul but rather just fixing 3rd gear, correcting the crash shift into 2nd, and upgrading the 2-4 servos. The trans only has 28,000 miles on it and the fluid is not burned. If I tear the unit down and find things to be worse than I expected, I may have to rethink this. I plan to disassemble the pump and the forward clutches for inspection. I'll also look for any damage to the 2-4 band and replace that with the wide band and new drum if needed.

Im doing some side work this weekend for extra funds to go toward this project. The money was going to go towards extra payments on my new Snap On Solus Ultra scan tool(trying to pay it off as quick as possible to save on interest). Now, my priorities have changed. I'll put my Beasty on the lift Sunday and start pulling the trans. I'm going to take my time so may not have the trans torn down til next weekend. Then I'll make my parts list. I may have more questions at that point too.

Thank you very much for your help so far.