Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 lost 3rd gear
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Haven't posted on this project for quite a while. It took me some time to put together all of the pieces. I am finally in the process of assembly. I have had the gear train in and out a few times fine tuning clearances and setting end play. I had a strange squeaking noise from the rear planet carrier rubbing on the back of the center support. From studying the breakdown, I figured out that there is nothing preventing the center support resting against the rear carrier during assembly, when the unit is vertical. Once the unit is installed, the first time the L/R clutch engages, the center support will be set in place against the snap ring and the anti-clunk spring will keep it from moving back. This is rookie stuff that a real trans tech would have known. I did work on my L/R clutch stack to assure proper clearance.

Now I've got the unit assembled up to the valve body, which I'll finish after work. Yesterday I had to set the trrans aside to pull heads off of a 1999 Ford 4.6(oh so special). Today I'm diagnosing a severe bog on a 1990 Mazda Miata(will the fun never end?) I expect to have this bad boy 700R4 installed tomorrow. Once I have it running and verify all the shifts are as they should be, I'll post a parts and mod list.

Before I even go any further, I want to give special thanks to Dana at Pro Built Automatics for his tireless tech support on this project. After months of study and thinking I was ready for this build, I ended up with alot of questions and he has been there with solid answers. Thank You Dana!

Last edited by ASE Doc; 03-08-2013 at 10:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ASE Doc For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (03-08-2013)