Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 lost 3rd gear
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The transmission is finished and back in my Beasty. From the first two road tests I am pleased so far. The 1-2 bang shift that I had hoped to resolve is gone. The 1-2 shift is firm and solid at light throttle but not harsh, and becomes progressively firmer and faster with throttle pressure. The 2-3 shift is the same way. The slushy feeling that I used to get from the 2-3 shift at mid throttle is gone and the shift feels very confident. I was concerned about having a clunky 3-2 downshift with the Superior servo but I can barely hear the click of the servo and the shift feels very good. I didn't catch on to what Dana was saying about the greater apply area of the Sonnax 4th servo over the Superior until I was already putting things together and I chose not to make the change at that time. I don't use 4th gear that much and I never drive around in D4. The 3-4 shift is the one place where I don't feel a definite improvement. I may go ahead and swap to the Sonnax 4th servo in the future.

I have not had enough road time in the car to really be sure of what actual stall speed is with the new converter. It should be about 500rpm higher. It feels very good so far but I will need to get it to the track, or at least a more remote area to really test it.

One issue that I have had on the two drives I've made is a resistance to shift from 1st gear, only on the very first shift. I have had to run the engine up to 4,500 or 5,000, perhaps a few times before it will shift to 2nd. Once the first 1-2 shift is made, the shifting is great from then on. The trans has only been on two runs and has never been to operating temp yet, so maybe this is just an issue that will resolve itself on run in. Otherwise, it may be a sticky governor and I'll have to fix it.