700r4 lost 3rd gear - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks again jokerZ71 for the good info.

My 87 IROC is fitted with ACCEL DFI gen6. It's a good early 8 bit system. A bit limited on tuning in certain areas but it works very well. I built the car in '99 and custom installed the DFI system to support a high effort EFI small block. It does support TCC lockup and uses MAP and minimum engine speed as control inputs. Unfortunately, and probably for a long time even before last summer's failure of the 3-4 clutches, the TCC system doesn't work. I played with it just a minute after the build this winter and realized the 4th gear pressure switch is no good. The way that the previous trans builders had wired the TCC system was wrong anyway, like they were trying to mimic OE controls.

The ACCEL DFI's TCC control is a simple deal that just turns on the TCC above the rpm that you set in UTILITIES and turns it off above a MAP value that you also set or when rpm drops below the set point. You install a pressure switch or switches to determine what gears the TCC works in. Since mine wasn't working right, I just disconnected it shortly after the build to prevent damaging the converter clutch. Alot of good that did. I need to get the TCC working right before I do any more highway driving. My TV cable is set correctly for max TV stroke at full throttle. The TPS is set for minimum .5 volts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM

A quick update. I got the funds together and called Dana at Pro Built Automatics this past Friday. He's setting up a Hi Energy 3-4 clutch pack to fit the Smart Tech housing. He's also putting together a shift kit to help ensure solid shifts. I'm going to the Sonnax 4th servo that has 30% more apply area than the Superior unit that I'm running now. This will help prevent the 2-4 band slipping in 4th gear. A few other things I'm doing since I believe that heat played a big part in this failure are 3/8" cooler lines to replace the stock 5/16" and a larger auxiliary cooler. In fact, I may just put two 3/8" large capacity fluid to air heat exchangers in series and leave the factory integral cooler out of the loop.

I'm also going to drill a ring of small bleed holes, probably 4 or 6 total, around the housing, just below the apply plate to allow for fluid movement through the 3-4 clutches. Of course I'm also going to be sure that my TCC system working before I drive the car on the highway again.

Dana told me to forget the 5 pinion rear planet. He says it is not necessary. I did go ahead and get a used factory 4 pinion rear planet and sun gear from a local hard parts shop since I still think that mine has way too much gear lash. The replacement part showed up today and the gear lash on it is 1,000 percent better than on the one in my transmission now.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Hope it all worx for ya.I've also been told that the 5 pinion rear isn't necessary.I picked up a 4L60E over the wkend for $40.Not sure which year model.I'm gonna give it a shot rebuildin it,just,for the heck of it.I've changed fluid & filter & installed a shift kit before.That is the extent of my auto trans experience.LOL. We'll see how it goes.For $40 I couldn't pass it up.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM

What I know of the 4L60E is that the aluminum valve body has wear issues. I don't remmber the specifics. Only that some of the valvetrain bores tend to wear and those valves then catch and stick in the ridges of the worn bore. I remember doing the repairs but I don't remember which bores and gears were affected. The repair kits are available and consist of a bore reamer and an oversize valve. You can also just buy a good used or even a new valve body. Otherwise, the 4l60E is pretty much identical to the 700R4.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Yep.I've heard the same.This 1 is supposedly from an S10.From what I hear it has a different valvebody calibration & 1 or 2 less clutch plates than used on fullsize app.IDK that to be accurate.I'll find out when I tear it down.I'm gonna order the manual for it before I try anything.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure what all the differences are between the V6 and V8 units. I know that on the 700R4 the valvebody itself is different, as well as the clutch setups. Fortunately for us, these units have been upgraded so much since they were introduced, we can pretty much build then anyway we want with the right combination of parts and mods.

I ordered the ATSG manual for my trans. This winter I just used the factory service manual but it is limited, especially with the upgrades and changes made since 87. From what I understand, the ATSG books are the best.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASE Doc View Post
I'm not sure what all the differences are between the V6 and V8 units. .

The only thing different is clutch pack count and a thicker pressure plate!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.