Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 Low/Reverse Clutch Pack
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
I pulled out the low/reverse clutch pack and piston to check specs as I got more info from my new book ( 87-93 ) which I know you guys hate but its all I got to go on.

The height of the piston does not match any specs in the guide.

The clutch pack according to the guide should have a wavy plate and a selective plate. The burnt out clutch pack I pulled out didn't have either of these. I'm wondering if I have earlier parts in this tranny or something was swapped out at some time.? I bought this tranny used,so I don't know the history on it.

Thanks,
Pugsy

GM used multiple l-r piston , steel , friction, wavey , thick steel plate stack ups in the trans.

Early 700 were, piston with 5 x5 steels and frictions. No waves , or thick bottom plate with wavey

Set the piston in case NO seals, stack up steels and frictions , set center support on top. Check for clearance... .050 to .070 will function.

Install snap ring if you wish and pry the clutch pack apart with a scribe for a more accurate measure of clearance.

Some times there is additional gap above the snap ring which will open up the clearance a bit.