Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4. No 2nd Gear, Slips in OD
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4. No 2nd Gear, Slips in OD

Hello all. Brand new here. I recently purchased an 84 C10 with the 6.2 diesel. It has the 700R4 in it and I'm having some problems.

I don't seem to have 2nd gear at all. I start out in 1st and have to rev it hard and then let off of the gas to catch 3rd. It also seems to slip very slightly while in OD. I'm prepared for a rebuilt transmission, but just wanted to check in and see if it might be something simple.

The truck sat in this fellows driveway for several years. Didn't move. Had major water leaks from the freeze plugs (why he parked it). I've tinkered with the tv cable. It's as tight as it will go right now and if I loosen it at all the truck will never leave 1st. The fluid seems good, but I did have to add 1.5 quarts once I got the truck up and running.

I intend to pull the governor sometime this week and see what the gear and springs look like. I haven't dropped the pan to look around yet.

I'm brand new to transmissions in general, but I've been doing a fair amount of research about the 700R4 on this interwebs thingy. You folks seem to have a killer knowledge base.

Thanks,

Lewis