700R4 No Electrics Shifts 2 soon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 No Electrics Shifts 2 soon

Fellas just trying to understand more about my 92 700R4. Running it now for most of the season, bought it rebuilt in spring, no real issues.

Beast shell, vette servo, upgraded clutch paks, stock convertor 1800 or so stall with functioning lockup, 383 in a C10, 373 posi

Couple questions:

The tranny is without any electrical connections, guy said that its setup function without control from module. From day one the thing shifted early on part throttle, went through the TV setup completely as in correct geometry, new tv cable in the right spot, setup the pull to a T.

Got into the governor 5 or 6 times trying different springs/weights, the shifting still seems early at part throttle or easy going. When at WOT the shift is at about 5800 which is exactly what I want but under light pedal the thing is shifting up way too early. The lockup is functioning OK, the OD comes in at street speed though so I tend to keep it in 3rd when in town.

Shifts up are somewhat sloppy 2 on light throttle but real solid at WOT or heavier foot action. The thing clunks down pretty good coming to a stop in 3rd, smooth downshift to 1st in D, typical 700 as I understand.

I guess what I am wondering is how can these trannys be setup to run with no electric shift control as mine has been, also could this internal setup without need for electric input/control be effecting my shift points so that no matter what I do with the governor the shift points are going to be early,,,do I need to dig deeper?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
Fellas just trying to understand more about my 92 700R4. Running it now for most of the season, bought it rebuilt in spring, no real issues.

Beast shell, vette servo, upgraded clutch paks, stock convertor 1800 or so stall with functioning lockup, 383 in a C10, 373 posi

Couple questions:

The tranny is without any electrical connections, guy said that its setup function without control from module. From day one the thing shifted early on part throttle, went through the TV setup completely as in correct geometry, new tv cable in the right spot, setup the pull to a T.

Got into the governor 5 or 6 times trying different springs/weights, the shifting still seems early at part throttle or easy going. When at WOT the shift is at about 5800 which is exactly what I want but under light pedal the thing is shifting up way too early. The lockup is functioning OK, the OD comes in at street speed though so I tend to keep it in 3rd when in town.

Shifts up are somewhat sloppy 2 on light throttle but real solid at WOT or heavier foot action. The thing clunks down pretty good coming to a stop in 3rd, smooth downshift to 1st in D, typical 700 as I understand.

I guess what I am wondering is how can these trannys be setup to run with no electric shift control as mine has been, also could this internal setup without need for electric input/control be effecting my shift points so that no matter what I do with the governor the shift points are going to be early,,,do I need to dig deeper?

Yours probably has a Hyd. Lockup Kit like this:
http://www.transgo.com/valve_bushing.php Part# 700-LU
The Hyd kit shouldn't affect Part throttle shifts unless it's locking up to early. Does it only Lock in 4th or 2nd & 3rd also?

A slightly longer/stronger TV spring in Valvebody may help with early/soft part throttle shifts. They will boost idle & off ldle pressure slightly.
Or this>> http://www.transmissioncenter.org/70...#T%20V%20Cable
http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/AS1-01K.pdf
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

SS I can't say for sure about 2nd lockup action but I think it does not, 3rd gear yes it does lockup, 4th yes

When on the pedal hard and letting the thing loose as in coming onto freeway it will hold third gear for ever if I have it pinned and in D, maybe I just don't have the balls to keep holding it there and wait for 4th at 90mph+ but that is not the issue more of a FYI.

I plan on a TCI 2400-2600 lockup conv to help with keeping my engine from loading up at idle in gear, its really bad, also this should give me a better match for cam/gears. Will or could the higher stall help me out with the shift pattern issue.

Have not had time to check the links but i will thanks SS
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Most 700R4's wont do a WOT 3-4th shift >> 700R4 shifting problems

The higher stall will allow more engine rpm but, probably wont affect the speed of the shifts much. A higher stall can soften WOT shift firmness slightly.

If you tighten the TV cable adjustment a click or 2 it can lengthen shift timing. If your cable resets itself after you tighten the Cable, the spring in the link in Post above will correct this.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

be aware that some of these WOT TV sleeves provide a shift to over drive at WOT , but..... you must have the shifter in "3rd" gear position and when 4th gear is desired you move the shifter to 4th.

There is no detent oil provided with shifter in "OD" position, so the trans will not down shift out of 4th gear with the application of throttle. Trans will only down shift out of 4th when you stop or if the shifter is moved from "OD"
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

OK well as far as the OD to 3rd down shifting operation goes it does hang in 4th when highway cruising at say 2200 rpm, then when giving it a little gas to pass for instance it won't down shift, for it to shift down by itself I need to really give it a good kick on the pedal, not floor it but 3/4 maybe then it drops down or move it to third manually as you say. When it hangs in OD under light throttle at 65mph the engine can ping if I am not careful, if I manually shift down to 3rd then give it gas no problem. I can live with this.

When I was in the governor trying different weights/springs the lightest combination of the two that i used made this OD to 3rd down shift happen with light pedal application which was nice but then the thing was shifting at 6400+ when I belted it off the line and ran through the gears, too much RPM for my liking as this is not a strip C10. Also the thing would not even shift into OD at all in some cases with this governor setup, so I changed back to heavier spring/weights focusing on my WOT shifts.

Again my real issue is the early shifting when just tooling around nice and easy. It is my understanding that the governor springs have something to do with the timing of the up shifts correct? I have tried a number of times to get this corrected with different springs weights. I have my WOT shift points good so I don't want to get back in there, but I will if need be

So increasing the line pressure with the valve body spring SS linked may help
then, I think I can handle that one. FYI the in gear idle 4th 3rd line pressure is about 85 psi, 1-2nd is about 185. I can recall right now what my line pressures are when light throttle up shifting in 3rd-4th from stand still, what should I be looking for here as far as pressures go during up shifts?

Quote:
If you tighten the TV cable adjustment a click or 2 it can lengthen shift timing. If your cable resets itself after you tighten the Cable, the spring in the link in Post above will correct this.
Changing the TV cable ratchet position (mine is a B&M universal), the thing won't setup like a stock type, I mean when you go WOT it does not pull out by itself, I need to press the locking button to increase the reach of the cable when I go WOT, then release the button and lock it there. Is that right, maybe I don't have the cable set just right? most common mistake I know but I studied the hell out of this when I put it in.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Adjustment procedure sounds correct. Since you have a Pr. gauge try setting it like this>> http://www.tvmadeez.com/tvinstadj.php using Pr. increase/decrease method.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.