700r4 no go In OD - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 no go In OD

OK I just got my 700r4 back in my blazer I put it in drive shifts fine and 1 2 3 and R fine. But when I put it in OD it doesnt move. give it gas and it acts like it wants to move. pulls a little. this is my frist ever rebuild could it be a cheak ball wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

no go in OD? Does it go ( drive) fine in "D" ? OR ... no go in any forward gear on the shifter??

If NO go in OD only, drives fine in "D" ........ the forward input sprag is installed backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar_Mikey
OK I just got my 700r4 back in my blazer I put it in drive shifts fine and 1 2 3 and R fine. But when I put it in OD it doesnt move. give it gas and it acts like it wants to move. pulls a little. this is my frist ever rebuild could it be a cheak ball wrong?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:09 AM

lol thats what I was thinking wooo get to pull it out and fix it. are you talking about the forwaed sprag? theres only one way it can go small side down? could a leak on the forward clutch piston cause this?

Last edited by Caesar_Mikey; 05-07-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

if you did a proper rebuild , you had the forward input sprag assembly apart for cleaning / inspection /repalcement of the sprag.

The actual sprag will install either direction in the sprag assembly race assembly. One direction the vehicle moves. The wrong / backwards installation, the vehicle does NOT move with the shifter in OD.

Quote:
lol thats what I was thinking wooo get to pull it out and fix it. are you talking about the forwaed sprag? theres only one way it can go small side down? could a leak on the forward clutch piston cause this?
Old 05-07-2005, 04:16 PM

i had it apart but I dont think thats the problem. Could not have the cluchs right in the foward pack do this. It acts like it wants to go but doesnt. it [pulls a little but not much at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you bet.

tear the tranny out and apart. Let's see what the problem is

Quote:
i had it apart but I dont think thats the problem. Could not have the cluchs right in the foward pack do this. It acts like it wants to go but doesnt. it [pulls a little but not much at all.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:43 AM

well I went out there this morning and put it in OD and gave it gas. It took some rpms like 2500 but it started to move so its like its a super slip. what could cause this?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Ceaser Mikey....

The man who has been answering you is a professional full time tranny builder. Asking again and again won't get a different answer. If it were me, i'd listen to him. Sprag is probably in backwards and continuing to rev it up trying to make it move won't be too good for it either.

Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I asked these questions:

Quote:
No movement in OD? Does it go ( drive) fine in "D" ? OR ... no go in any forward gear on the shifter??

If NO movement in OD only, vehicle drives fine in "D" ........ the forward input sprag is installed backwards
I did not recieve answers that I have noticed.

When you move the shifter to "D" position, another set of frictions are applied ( Over run frictions) these frictions while move the vehicle forward

If you run the engine RPM high enough , long enough while in OD while the vehicle does NOT move....... "IF" the sprag is backwards and causing NO movement. You WILL gall/over-heat/damage the forward sprag and races it rides on AKA ruin the parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Ceaser Mikey....

The man who has been answering you is a professional full time tranny builder. Asking again and again won't get a different answer. If it were me, i'd listen to him. Sprag is probably in backwards and continuing to rev it up trying to make it move won't be too good for it either.

Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 01:14 PM

ok I just got into it and the sprag is right what else could it be? and the D works fine but when you put it in OD it doesnt move
Old 05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

does the forward clutch pack air check good?

Is the seal rings there?

IS the forward clutch piston cracked?

Is there any cracks in the aluminum drum anywhere?

IS there cracks in the input shaft?

SPRAG assembly test: As you hold the small race ( part that goes down in the aluminum drum) assembly in your right hand.... use your left hand to spin the larger ( outer) race..... does the larger race spin counter clockwise ?

Quote:
ok I just got into it and the sprag is right what else could it be? and the D works fine but when you put it in OD it doesnt move

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.