Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 noise..Crosley?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  burnt olds 
#1 ·
My 700R4 in my 34 is noisy. It is most apparent at around 45 to 60. I would most closely associate it with a rear end howl, except it's a little different. You can float the noise with throttle position. It's kinda hard to explain what it sounds like, but it's fairly loud and I am certain it's coming from the trans and not the rear axle. The trans seems to be working perfectly, shifts fine through all gears, lockup converter is working, no apparent slippage. It was rebuilt by an older gentleman (70+) last year, and only has 1000 miles on it so far. I know this is not a lot of information to give you, but I have just now decided to do something about it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Vince

#4 ·
302 Z28 said:
My 700R4 in my 34 is noisy. It is most apparent at around 45 to 60. I would most closely associate it with a rear end howl, except it's a little different. You can float the noise with throttle position. It's kinda hard to explain what it sounds like, but it's fairly loud and I am certain it's coming from the trans and not the rear axle. The trans seems to be working perfectly, shifts fine through all gears, lockup converter is working, no apparent slippage. It was rebuilt by an older gentleman (70+) last year, and only has 1000 miles on it so far. I know this is not a lot of information to give you, but I have just now decided to do something about it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Vince
what gear is the trans in ?? Over drive or 3rd gear?

Rear planet runs in OD. Could be bad planet , torrington bearing makes noise in OD

Is it possible something rubs the trans = transmits the noise?

#5 ·
302 Z28 said:
That could be what it is. How long did your trans last from when you first heard the noise?

Thanks
Vince
it went till i had hit a wheel that flew off a 18 wheeler and luckily just ran over it .
busted trans pan out of truck . 56000 miles on truck
i only noticed it when lugging around in OD hauling nothing .
it seem to make the vib noise like come from drive shaft .
i took to three trans shops and they said it was most likely the back drum .
we tore it down and it was the back hub closest to out shaft .
the little gears and pins were little bit loose .
i put some that lucas trans in it and seamed to make it hard to hear .i'm told they make a better replacement hub and recommend it being changed , but lot of guys re use them .
i think it's around $100 bucks .
i got a old guy ,82 i believe that i let build all my old 350's , he still at it .
he puts in old clutch packs and says there better than the new kits ,if he has any .soaks new ones for a week , using a toaster oven at 200 degrees
to allow fluid soak up .
i don't argue with old know how .

#6 ·
Crosley said:
what gear is the trans in ?? Over drive or 3rd gear?
makes noise in 3rd and OD

Crosley said:
Rear planet runs in OD. Could be bad planet , torrington bearing makes noise in OD

Crosley said:
Is it possible something rubs the trans = transmits the noise?
I will look at that...thanks
Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.