700r4 Not Engaging ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 01:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 Not Engaging ?

Hi, this is my first post here... I've seen a lot of good tranmission-related topics on here so I thought you guys might be able to help me out. Well after a cool 900 bucks to rebuild my 700r4 (bye bye 3-4 clutches), I finally got it back in and installed Thursday night. I have the transmission in a 1979 Z28 Camaro (not that it makes a difference). The place I originally bought it from basically shafted me (wouldn't shift nice and firm like I wanted, used stock clutches, OUCH), and the place I took it to was highly recommended, owner has the fastest street car in the state so I trusted that they could do a good job. So obviously I was stoked when I got it in, was ready to feel the shift difference and the new high stall converter. So I start it up, put it in a reverse... and... yup, no movement, no engagement at all. Not in drive, 3rd 2nd or 1st... nothin'.

Could the converter not be in the transmission far enough? I'm curious as to what may be wrong... I can't believe the place would have messed something up when they put it together. Wouldn't I hear some noises if the converter weren't in far enough??

When the car is in park, I can not push it. When I put it in Reverse, Drive, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st... I can easily push it forward and backward. I don't know if that helps shed light on the issue or not, but figured I'd post anyways. I have a lock up on the transmission but with or without it plugged in, it does the same thing. I'm confused and twice as frustrated... had to be calmed down by girlfriend and father as I was ready to go off on the car. I miss the fun of it and I haven't been able to enjoy it for more than a month... grrrrr. Feel like I'm throwing away my money. If anybody has any thoughts, please share them.

We plan on pulling out the bolts from the flexplate/converter and seeing if the converter is out of the transmission. If so... then what? Does this mean I've probably purchased the wrong converter or what? It should be just about flush, no? Anyways, I appreciate all the help I've already got from this board... hopefully you guys can give us a few ideas on this issue as well. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Tranny

There are several things that could be wrong, most of which you probably cant fix yourself. Did you check the basics. How much fluid did you put in. It should take arround 8-10 quarts. The torque converter could be bad or the front pump could be bad. Do you know if they bench tested the transmission. Most reputable tranny shops have a machine that they can test the transmission on for presure before installing it. Before you bolted up the Torque converter did it spin free, if not you may have damaged teh front pump. Is it a new torque converter or it it the same one you were using before. If you have no action in any gear it seems likly you have no presure or not enough fluid. This would point to a pump or a torque converter.

Hope this helps
Old 08-05-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
There are several things that could be wrong, most of which you probably cant fix yourself. Did you check the basics. How much fluid did you put in. It should take arround 8-10 quarts. The torque converter could be bad or the front pump could be bad. Do you know if they bench tested the transmission. Most reputable tranny shops have a machine that they can test the transmission on for presure before installing it. Before you bolted up the Torque converter did it spin free, if not you may have damaged teh front pump. Is it a new torque converter or it it the same one you were using before. If you have no action in any gear it seems likly you have no presure or not enough fluid. This would point to a pump or a torque converter.

Hope this helps
We put in 6 quarts to begin with, started it... tried moving it through each gear and that's when I found out it wouldn't move/engage. I don't know that they bench tested it unfortunately, but I'm really not sure... I plan on calling them here shortly. Before bolting up, yes the torque converter spun freely. The torque converter is indeed new. After we didn't have any engagement through any gear we turned off the car, added more fluid and tried again... nothing changed. First we went up to 8 quarts, started again... went through all gears... nothing. Then we went to 10, started again... still nothing. Thanks for the response, it's much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Tranny

6 quarts is enough to make it work. I would almost be you got a bad converter or a bad front pump. it sucks to have to pull it apart but it is better than if it worked for 20 miles or so and you needed to haul it back !!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 PM

I'm havin the same problem tryin to diagnose the 700r4 in a 1984 firebird at the moment and this advise should prove very useful to me too.
Thanx guys
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

to begin with an empty 700 and converter would take up to 9 quarts of fluid and maybe more if you have a cooler! how long did you run it with 6 quarts??? did the builder offer you a warranty??
Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:

Did you do a pressure test?
The port is on the drivers side, near the front about midway vertically.
It is a 1/8 NPT.
The 700r4 should be between 60-80 lbs in Park.
How did you set the TV cable, the cable connected should be 3-4 lbs more than the disconnected pressure reading.
Before Tearing anything apart, I would pressure test (at least in Park).
Good Luck
Bob
Old 10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Have you added more fluid yet? 6 quarts isn't enough.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Guys........... the first post of this thread was 2 months ago.

I hope edwardzracing has figured out the problem by now. A 700r4 tranny will not operate on 6 quarts of fluid IF the tranny & converter was dry / rebuilt / empty.

REKRAP , I would suggest you post a new thread for your problem.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.