Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 not shifting

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Thom Laybourne 
#1 ·
I have a stock 700R4 in an '89 GMC pickup that has quit shifting into anything above 2nd gear. I got this truck last year so I don't have any history on how long the tranny has been in there. I have read some previous posts that had similar issues and most of them had burnt 3-4 clutches but discussed finding debris in the pan. I have pulled the pan and there isn't any debris, the fluid isn't burnt, the filter is clean, etc. I haven't done any adjustments on the T/V cable so I know I didn't pooch that up. Is it possible to have burnt 3-4 clutches without any debris? Is it possibly a sticky valve in the valve body? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
these trannys flow a bunch of fluid. Did you replace the filter? did you break open the filter and take a look?

Often the pan is clean & the filter is quite dirty with little peices.

The 3/4 clutches have been trouble with this trany since there first released. These frictions also wear off the drive lugs on them, when the lugs are gone , no power is tranfered

If the tranny is shifting correctly 1-2 and down shifting i would suspect the cluthes are junk or mayb the 2-3 shift valve has some thing sticking it.

#3 ·
Yes I broke open the filter and didn't find any debris in there. I replaced the filter and serviced the fluid, tried it again, but no avail. It is shifting fine from first to second, and downshifting ok also. I got a quote for 1000 bucks to rebuild it, but in and out in one day made me a bit leary of the shop guy. Maybe he is really good and not busy, but that still seems like a really quick turn on a rebuild to me. Thanks for the advice.

#4 ·
700 no shift

A good shop can do a rebuild in a day in and out, they may have one ready and only need the time to exchange yours. The price isn't bad, 700 prices are in a wide range from high to low it all is a matter of opinion. any thing can be too cheap to be good, re builders are a dime a dozen but good ones are worth their weight in gold.

many folks here believe that they are able to fix just about anything but expertize is what makes a transmission last beyond just putting it back together!!!!!!

#5 ·
700R4 Wont Shift

I too am just now having problems with my 700r4. I bought a used one and it has about 2000 miles on it, and the TV cable is adusted correctly. I may take it to a trans shop tomorrow. It just wont shift past 2nd. I pulled the pan and its spotless. I bought a new filter and fluid too. Still wont shift out of 2nd. Any ideas guys? Thanks for your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.