700R4 not shifting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 not shifting

I have a stock 700R4 in an '89 GMC pickup that has quit shifting into anything above 2nd gear. I got this truck last year so I don't have any history on how long the tranny has been in there. I have read some previous posts that had similar issues and most of them had burnt 3-4 clutches but discussed finding debris in the pan. I have pulled the pan and there isn't any debris, the fluid isn't burnt, the filter is clean, etc. I haven't done any adjustments on the T/V cable so I know I didn't pooch that up. Is it possible to have burnt 3-4 clutches without any debris? Is it possibly a sticky valve in the valve body? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

these trannys flow a bunch of fluid. Did you replace the filter? did you break open the filter and take a look?

Often the pan is clean & the filter is quite dirty with little peices.

The 3/4 clutches have been trouble with this trany since there first released. These frictions also wear off the drive lugs on them, when the lugs are gone , no power is tranfered

If the tranny is shifting correctly 1-2 and down shifting i would suspect the cluthes are junk or mayb the 2-3 shift valve has some thing sticking it.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:04 AM

Yes I broke open the filter and didn't find any debris in there. I replaced the filter and serviced the fluid, tried it again, but no avail. It is shifting fine from first to second, and downshifting ok also. I got a quote for 1000 bucks to rebuild it, but in and out in one day made me a bit leary of the shop guy. Maybe he is really good and not busy, but that still seems like a really quick turn on a rebuild to me. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:49 AM

Last photo:

700 no shift

A good shop can do a rebuild in a day in and out, they may have one ready and only need the time to exchange yours. The price isn't bad, 700 prices are in a wide range from high to low it all is a matter of opinion. any thing can be too cheap to be good, re builders are a dime a dozen but good ones are worth their weight in gold.

many folks here believe that they are able to fix just about anything but expertize is what makes a transmission last beyond just putting it back together!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 PM

700R4 Wont Shift

I too am just now having problems with my 700r4. I bought a used one and it has about 2000 miles on it, and the TV cable is adusted correctly. I may take it to a trans shop tomorrow. It just wont shift past 2nd. I pulled the pan and its spotless. I bought a new filter and fluid too. Still wont shift out of 2nd. Any ideas guys? Thanks for your time.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

www.700r4.com

Give these people a call. Nice folks and very willing to discuss problems over the phone. I was having problems with my 400 and they talked me into changing the modulator. DADA. They will also sell you a new unit for under $1000. Worth the dime. Also, check the web site. http://www.700r4.com

hr41pearl

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.