Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 not shifting right
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 not shifting right

Just bought a rat rod with a 700r4 in it. When I left the guys house I didn't think it was ever going to shift but it finally did. I got to checking and reading some about the r4 and found he didn't have the tv cable hooked up. The truck has a 305 cu. in with a edelbrock carb. I ordered the kit from tci with the carb linkage and a new tv cable and installed it.
I have been adjusting on the cable and what I am getting is a shift from 1st to 2nd at 15mph and from sn to 3rd at about 26mph. It hadn't been doing any more shifting until yesterday. I was going along around 50 and it went into overdrive. After it started doing that sometimes if felt like it was shifting back and forth from 3rd to overdrive.
I adjusted the tv cable with the throttle wide open and the cable pulled tight at wide open throttle.
If I have the tv cable pretty well adjusted right and it still doesn't go from 2,3 and to 4th like it should is there anything I can check?
Also what speeds should it shift. 1st to 2nd
2nd to 3rd
3rd to 4th
Like I say it has never shifted past 3rd until yesterday. Any advice would be apreciated.