Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 not shifting right
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriderr9 View Post
Just bought a rat rod with a 700r4 in it. When I left the guys house I didn't think it was ever going to shift but it finally did. I got to checking and reading some about the r4 and found he didn't have the tv cable hooked up. The truck has a 305 cu. in with a edelbrock carb. I ordered the kit from tci with the carb linkage and a new tv cable and installed it.
I have been adjusting on the cable and what I am getting is a shift from 1st to 2nd at 15mph and from sn to 3rd at about 26mph. It hadn't been doing any more shifting until yesterday. I was going along around 50 and it went into overdrive. After it started doing that sometimes if felt like it was shifting back and forth from 3rd to overdrive.
I adjusted the tv cable with the throttle wide open and the cable pulled tight at wide open throttle.
If I have the tv cable pretty well adjusted right and it still doesn't go from 2,3 and to 4th like it should is there anything I can check?
Also what speeds should it shift. 1st to 2nd
2nd to 3rd
3rd to 4th
Like I say it has never shifted past 3rd until yesterday. Any advice would be apreciated.
Like you found out, the TV cable is uber important.

Besides the WOT TV cable setting, the geometry of the carb linkage is also important and is sometimes overlooked. The geometry is what says how far the cable is pulled at any particular throttle setting, below wide open. Be sure it's right. Details are below.

Links to info here.

Good luck.