700r4 not up-shifting problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 not up-shifting problem

sorry, but here goes. I have searched the board and have a few ideas but i thought i would ask anyway. ......I have the dreaded 700r4 not up-shifting problem. I drove it to moms and it worked great, went to leave and it decided not to shift from 1st on the highway home. Changed fluid and filter,nothing. I CHECKED THE GOVERNOR GEAR...and it is in tact. The TV cable appears to be working fine. I have 1st and reverse only. Do the governors just "go bad" somehow. I will say, i have had the truck for about 4 years and it has always shifted at what seemed pretty high RPMs...sometimes i would even get the RPMs up and let out a little just to feel the shift. Can those little springs "wear out"? I read you can buy kits to change springs heavy-light in order to change RPMs shift. I wonder if i should just buy a governor. The little shaft inside it seems to be sliding(if that matters)....THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE EVERYBODY...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM

How do you check the TV cable anyway? Do you undo it at the carb and see if it pulls up thru (broken)? thanks!!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

You should be able to feel tension on the inner wire cable as you pull it out. Too many years since I've been there.

I am not up on autos, but I do recall setting up the cable on one I put in years back. It was a modified unit to run without any electric wire hook ups. As I recall,the builder of the trans gave me a measurement to set the cable to, as it was modified.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM

I tried my TV cable, it is still connected(not broke). I took the governor out,gear is intact,the sliding shaft thing inside seems to slide okay. CAN THE SPRINGS WEAR OUT OR GET TO WEAK? I guess with weaker springs the shift point would be higher, correct? Could the springs be weak enough to NOT allow it to upshift?........How about taken the tranny appart while in the vehicle? I have changed filters before...but would it be okay to lower the valve body and look for any stuck valves....or are there small springs or balls to worry about?.........
Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM

700r4 help

LR25,go to www.transmissionhead.com and scroll to the bottom of the page,there you will find a kit to correct and improve the shifting of your 700r4.I had shifting trouble with mine(in a '88 s-10)and ordered this kit-it corrected my problem-my trans was acting the same as you have described yours,when I took mine apart,I found that my servo spring was broken in two pieces-a new servo spring comes with this kit-also my separator plate was worn out-can't remember who I ordered this from,but transmissionhead has one listed about the middle of their page-fits '82-93 700r4's-you didn't say what your trans in in or the year.Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

TV cable adjustment

Oops!I forgot to tell you about cable adjustment-on transmissionhead's page they give you the adjustment procedure.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM

I'll check it out. Oh, and it's a 1988 tranny, i believe. I had it rebuilt about 1.5 years ago even...just long enough for the shps warranty to expire..
Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 AM

The tranny has to come out to remove the valve body though,correct. Meaning if i don't small springs or ball bearings will go everywhere. It is in a 4x4 with transfer case and that is a bit much for me to do...unless i can open it up while installed.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM

700r4

If this vehicle were in a trans repair shop a 0-300 psi gauge would be installed on the mainline pressure tap [ above the linkage ].

Your pressure reading in park, engine warm, should be about 70 psi. With a stock pressure regulator spring.

The gauge will tell you if you have a TV valve sticking in the valve body.

This is a very common problem with the 700R4 and by using a gauge you can sometimes, [most times], save youself some time. Here's how.

If the TV valve were sticking, your gauge would not read about 70 psi, instead it would read above 90 psi,or more, in park.

By taking 10 minutes to install a gauge, and if the gauge read 20 to 25 psi above what it should, you would not have to wonder about the governor.

Nor would you have to crawl under the vehicle and remove it, conjecture would not enter the equation.

Certainly take a look at the cable adjustment, and by the way, springs wearing out in governors are not an issue.

If you can get your hands on a gauge and the pressure is up as I described and the TV valve is sticking, Transgo makes a very good little shift kit that cures the TV valve sticking problem.

You can remove the valve body with the trans still in the vehicle.

Last edited by briscoe; 10-29-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-29-2007, 03:03 PM

somthing else. I put the correct ammount of fluid in it when i installed the filter. Then when i checked it it showed low. So i added more. There was one time i remember when it showed way to much on the dipstick. Does this help anymore? Does this show that there could be some kind of valve stuck somewhere?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM

700r4 shifting

LR25,Briscoe is correct about using a gauge on the mainline pressure tap(excellent advice),it will tell you whether or not your TV is sticking.If you do have to drop the valve body,it can be done without removing the trans-whatever kit you use-the Transgo kit is very good-the B&M kit is also very good-the shift correction kit from transmissionhead is good-I've used all of these.The kit will come with instructions as to where the ball bearings go(use a tiny bit of grease-just enough to make them sticky)and re-install them accordingly.Always check your fluid level when the trans is hot,idling in park and on level ground.If you've never done this before,take a few snapshots with a digital camera before you start taking the valve body out,they will be good reference for putting it back together.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM

The issue with the fluid....i was wondering if it is going somewhere inside and collecting some how and not getting back to the pan. As far as the tv valve sticking....if the tv cable has the desire to go back inside after pulling it out(i'm assuming it is spring loaded somehow), could a valve there still be sticking. I basically would like to drop the pan and nose around looking for any problems, maybe pull down the valve body and look for whatever valves i can find or anything broke or sticking and then stick it back together. I'm not planning on buying a kit or anything, unless i need a replacement piece. That is why i was hoping it would be okay to maybe undo the valve body. I don't want to get into a situation where i'm screwed and have to take the tranny out to correct my "taking the body down"....I plan on selling the vehicle, but of course nobody wants a vehicle with tranny problems...that is why i don't want to spend another $900 like i did a couple of years ago on the tranny...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 AM

unless autozone has one of those gauges as a free tool rental....i won't have access to one...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM

700R4 not upshifting

I have been thinking about how I can help you with this. I am not coming up with much of anything.

If you pull the valve body off to check for a stuck TV valve, it may not be stuck when you look at it, but may stick again when you put the valve body back on.

I understand what you said about the gauge but, a reading would confirm a TV valve misfunction.

Before we started using the transgo kit, sticking TV valves were a huge problem.

Prior to the kit we were installing little helper springs on the end of the tv valve to help prevent sticking.

We were also drilling the tv balance hole to about .060, this is the hole directly over the tv valve, in the separtor plate.

Ok, you have checked the governor and you are sure the cable is not a problem, so...

There is not much else you can do unless you want to pull the valve body.

Read again what I have written. as I have given you other options instead of, the transgo kit. Which by the way cost about $35.00 dollars.

If you do pull the vb, taking pictures, as was suggested by wvhillbilly, would be a good idea.

Two more things. If the pan has a lot of trash in it you should stop right there. Because whatever you unstick will just stick again when you put it back together.

And feel free to post your questions, I will help you as much as I can.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

I just pulled the pan. Didn't see anything broke or out of the ordinary. The fluid still looked nice and fairly clear red. No junk in pan. I looked at the tv cable and it looks okay. I manually moved it in and out. The little springs on the moving piece the tv is connected to looked and worked okay. The little shaft like valve slid in and out okay. The spring that is behind that sliding shaft looked okay. That sliding shaft like thing...is that the tv valve? Everything from this view looked good. The elecrical wires looked good as well.
I am lucky enough to have a junk 700r4 that i could tear appart also. I opened it up,looked around, and then took all of the bolts out of the valve body. Removed it, and then decided that there didn't really seem to be much to look at behind it. I think maybe i'm better off leaving my trucks alone. I was wondering....how do you change that sliding shaft thing and it's spring? I figured you could get to it or SOMETHING after removing the valve body. But you can't. I'm going to have my wife work the throttle while i watch the tv cable linkage below and see if anything looks odd, or maybe needs adjusted........when she gets home.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.