700R4 Not working in drive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Not working in drive

I just rebuilt a 700R4 for a buddy. We used a monster transmissions rebuild kit. Got it in the truck and hooked everything up, we are running a B&M mega shifter, It will work in everygear except for drive. If we put it in 3rd it will shift like its supposed too although the shifts are kinda soft. it obviously wont shift to OD though. I put a shift kit in it that monster included so i don't know why the shifts are soft. I just took the tranny back out of the truck and checked the overdrive sprag cause I was told that it might be that installed backwards but its in there properly. Sooo.... Any ideas anyone?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Have you checked the dreaded TV cable?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Yep checked double checked and triple checked that thing. I don't understand why it works in 1 2 and 3 but doesn't do anything at all when I put it in drive. could I have maybe gotten a check ball in the wrong place or something?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Take a close look at your 2-4 band apply servo pistons. On some kits it's possible to invert the inner piston, causes a loss of pressure to the band. Also check the capluated check ball for the 2-4 band in the trans case - make sure it's seating.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 PM

alright will do. doesn't that band only apply when you get into 2nd and 4th though? It shifts into 2nd just fine. I guess I don't see how that 2-4 band would have anything to do with it not doing anything when I put the tranny in drive. But I will certainly take a look at that servo and the encapsulated ball. Thanks for the input
Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcU812
Take a close look at your 2-4 band apply servo pistons. On some kits it's possible to invert the inner piston, causes a loss of pressure to the band. Also check the capluated check ball for the 2-4 band in the trans case - make sure it's seating.
that check ball capsule is the 2-3 accumulator. as long as third is engaging, the problem is not in the capsule.
try another forward sprag assembly, i have a feeling that the race is wiped out.
either that, or the teflon seal for the o.d. apply for the servo is either missing or cut, which is really hard to do, since its the piston that goes into the servo cover.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

no fwd movement in "OD" on the shifter, yet the vehicle will move fwd in the "3" shifter position points to the fwd sprag, fwd clutch pack.

When you shift to "3" shifter position , the over - run frictions apply and will move the vehicle

Is it possible the shift linkage is out of adjustment?

Did the fwd clutch assembly air check correctly? Are the sealing rings good? Are the sealing ring surfaces smooth? Were the bushings in the stator tube replaced?

Was the fwd sprag assembley replaced? Any wear grooves or pattern on either fwd sprag races? Was a dual ring sprag assembly used?

Both of the sprag race surfaces must be smooth or lightly sanded wet with 320 - 400 grit paper
Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM

The seals on everything are brand new and are good, the overdrive spag was replaced with the newer style (tranny is an 83), the races where smooth and in good shape, brand new clutches througout the entire transmission. The shifter is adjusted properly. I have checked and double checked it. everything air tested good, proper movement on everything but I will air test it all again tonight. would the sprag in the center support have anything to do with it? I know the overdrive sprag turns clockwise and locks counterclockwise like its supposed to. There is one teflon seal on the input drum that has a small piece torn off. None of the bushings were replaced except the one in the end of the pump that the torque converter rides on.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 AM

Well just air checked the Input drum and everything seemed to be working okay but I pulled it all apart anyway and found the lip seal on the 3-4 apply piston torn in half. Aside from that cause it would apply on an air check, on the bottom friction of the overrun clutch pack, the top of the friction was black. i could still read the markings on it and its still had some red showing though. the bottom of that friction was a little black but the top friction in that pack looked like it did the day I pulled it out of package. Also how much clearance do I need to have on the forward clutch pack? It has like.... none. None of the clutch's look bad though. Could my problem have something to do with the lack of clearance in the pack? Both apply pistons for the overrun and the forward packs are good and the seals seem to be holding. I also remembered that I put brand new races on the overdrive sprag. The rebuild kit came with a 28 element bearing and new races. Oh I also air checked it just through the holes on the input shaft and through the oil pump and it tested good both ways. I could hear the pistons move and hear the packs engage and the only air leakage was back through my air blower. So any other ideas???? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

If what you are calling races for the new fwd sprag are the two plate retainer / guides that slip on to the sides of the sprag... those are not races.

Sprags do not come with new "races". That would be an OEM part you need to obtain
Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Well okay. The book I have calls them races. In any case all the parts for the sprag, the races that the sprag runs on, are all smooth, no nicks, no burrs. Could it be the lack of clearance on the forward clutch pack that is my problem?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.