700r4 OD gear Shifting Issue and TV cable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 OD gear Shifting Issue and TV cable

I just completed a 4.3 conversion on my 93 Wrangler. I installed the complete drivetrain from a 90 S10 Blazer. The issue I have is it will shift into each gear as I accelerate when it reaches OD and I am maintaining speed the trans will begin acting like it is shifting from 4th to 3rd to 4th to 3rd and so on. If I shift out of OD to drive it shifts to 3rd and stays there. What may be causing this? Also, I need cleared up the TV cable setup. I have read that to set the TV cable bracket at a distance so that when the throttle is at full WOT the TV cable is fulley pulled out. My question on this is, when I pull the cable end out it starts coming out with very little pull for like 1/2 inch the there is some resistance for 1/2 inch then there is heavy resistance (very hard to pull) until finally the cable dead stops. Do I set the brack distance so that at WOT the cable is at a dead stop or am I pulling it too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

The TV cable has a lot to do with it. To keep from relying on my memory, and save a lot of typing, Google "700R4 tv cable adjustment". The first site on the menu will tell you evrything you need to know.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

If the tv cable is old and you are having problems I would start by replacing it. They are around 25 bucks. I am sure the tv cable is the problem, if not that then maybe a worn out servo and its not holding overdrive.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
If the tv cable is old and you are having problems I would start by replacing it. They are around 25 bucks. I am sure the tv cable is the problem, if not that then maybe a worn out servo and its not holding overdrive.
If you can't find the info or diagnosis. Contact (user name) tnsmith on this site. He'll steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
I just completed a 4.3 conversion on my 93 Wrangler. I installed the complete drivetrain from a 90 S10 Blazer. The issue I have is it will shift into each gear as I accelerate when it reaches OD and I am maintaining speed the trans will begin acting like it is shifting from 4th to 3rd to 4th to 3rd and so on. If I shift out of OD to drive it shifts to 3rd and stays there. What may be causing this? Also, I need cleared up the TV cable setup. I have read that to set the TV cable bracket at a distance so that when the throttle is at full WOT the TV cable is fulley pulled out. My question on this is, when I pull the cable end out it starts coming out with very little pull for like 1/2 inch the there is some resistance for 1/2 inch then there is heavy resistance (very hard to pull) until finally the cable dead stops. Do I set the brack distance so that at WOT the cable is at a dead stop or am I pulling it too far?
more than likely, if you wired in the T.C.C. (torque converter clutch), id be willing to bet that the problem is that its cycling in and out of "lock up".
as far as the tv cable setup, you are correct that the cable needs to be completely tight with the throttle wide open, or at a dead stop as you referred it.
tv cables will stretch, but unless the cable frays, or the adjustment doesnt hold, then theres no real reason to replace it unless you like spending money.

one last thing, if the shifts are late and firm, and you havent wired in the t.c.c., then odds are you are on the "failsafe" checkball and that you dont have the tv cable set far enough.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

cont..

The 700R4 is all factory stock, however I installed a TCI lockup kit since I am not using the computer. I believe it suppose to only lock the converter when in 4th. Shifts seemed firm, I plan to test drive it again today and pay much more attention to the shift points. I dont have any gauges that work yet, Jeep tied theirs into the computer and since I am not using a computer even though I have them hooked up, they are not working so I dont have a working tach yet. I guess I could hook up my dwell/ tach meter to the HEI and route it inside so I can watch it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

cont..

I forgot to mention that the TV Cable is a brand new adjustable one from Jegs.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

cont...

I have read some post that others have had issues with the TCI vac switch during lockup with cycling. Could I bypass the switch with a manual switch mounted inside and switch it on in 4th to see if it holds lockup or cycles?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Yes, you can use a Toggle switch. Also there are adjustable Vacuum switches that will prevent the TCC cycling.
Parts & Info here>> http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Auto...issionSwap.htm
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
The 700R4 is all factory stock, however I installed a TCI lockup kit since I am not using the computer. I believe it suppose to only lock the converter when in 4th. Shifts seemed firm, I plan to test drive it again today and pay much more attention to the shift points. I dont have any gauges that work yet, Jeep tied theirs into the computer and since I am not using a computer even though I have them hooked up, they are not working so I dont have a working tach yet. I guess I could hook up my dwell/ tach meter to the HEI and route it inside so I can watch it.
eliminate the vacuum switch. that is the cause of the cycling. its going in and out of lockup. we tried this on a customers car when we put in a 700r4 on a 70 1/2 z-28 camaro, and had nothing but problems. even tried another switch, and it did the same thing.
in the sticky part of this forum, crosley has a nice simple lock up wiring diagram, follow it and the problem will go away.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

cont..

Ok thanks for all the help folks. This has been a nice conversion so far. One of my easier ones. Just a few sticking points here and there. The next thing I have to work on is the gages.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.