Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 planetary id

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  tj81 
#1 ·
Hello, I got a question on identifying a genuine gm 5 pinion planetary.
How can I determine if a unit I have in my hands is actually a genuine GM 5 pinion planetary?

I have an 86 tranny I am building up. I want to upgrade it to 5 pinion planets. I purchased the rear planet off a guy on ebay - who said it is a genuine GM new old stock left over unit. I received it today and it seems like it is a piece of crap. It is physically lighter than the 4 pinion unit, thinner, and not built the same. It physically fits, but It seems like it will break...
So, if anyone knows what a real GM 5 pinion planet looks like, I would appreciate how to ID it..??

#4 · (Edited)
I don't quite know how to post the actual photos.
I hope you can view the ones I put on here.
The 5 pinion unit is two pieces welded together at (I will call it) the bridge. Not sure if you call the weld "bridge"...The 3rd and 4th image is the front and back of the 5 pinion unit. You can see the weld between the pinion gears in image 4.
The original 4 pinion does not have any welds, it is one solid unit.
The guy said the 5 pinion unit was a genuine GM part....I am not so sure that is true....
Hope you can see the pictures....If not, can you guide me as to how to post pictures?

#7 · (Edited)
This video shows both the front and rear planetaries, both 4 pinion and 5 pinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rgpCm001Lg

Here is pics of:

24241244 -CARRIER ASM-REACTION (5-PINION)-$254 from Summit Racing

24243874-CARRIER KIT,INPUT (5-PINION) $201.97 from Summit Racing

The above are GM parts spec'd out for a 4l70e trans out of a 2006 Trailblazer SS with the 395hp LS2 6.0.

These below are GM parts spec'd for a 2007-2009 Trailblazer SS with 4l70e(rpo-M70) and 395hp LS2 6.0 V8.

The reaction carrier still calls out for the same 24241244 as listed/pictured above.
Looks like the 5 pinion Input had an update for 2007-2009

24241248 CARRIER ASM-INPUT (5-PINION) $199

The difference between the two 5 pinion planetary gearsets could be the changes which happened during the 4l65e(M32) to 4l70e(M70) upgrade. The 4L70e is a variation of the five-pinion 4L65e, with additional strengthening in the output shaft and reaction internal gear to handle increased engine torque.

There is some good info a pics in this thread. It talks about compatibility of many of the parts we are talking about.

4l60e reaction carrier shaft and 5 pinion planets - LS1TECH

peace
Hog

#8 · (Edited)
Hogg, I did see that discussion about the parts on that another site. That mostly describes the front unit...Great info, however I am talking about the rear unit.

The 2 pics you posted (from rock auto) of the rear unit 24241244, is the one I have - I will tell you that it is junk, and not solid..I have it in my hands and it looks and feels like crap. The part number is a GM number - but I don't think it is an actual GM part...something funny goin on there..

If you look close, you can see the one I call crap is two pieces welded together at (what I call) the bridge. The separation is between the two gears on top (where the splines are) and it is spot welded on the bottom through holes on the outter shell.

The rear unit that is in the you tube video you posted IS much more solid. It is one piece with no spot welds holding it together - which is what my 4 pinion unit is designed like. But the guy in the video just hold it up for a second or two - lol

I ordered another part that looks like it is one unit with no welds. When I get it I will post pictures.. But I can't seem to figure out how to post pics yet. I get a message saying I am missing s security token - what ever that is??

If you can click on the pictures I tried to post, I took close ups of the weld I am talking about... I seriously doubt that GM has ever made or approved of a design like this. It seems to be weaker - IMO...

The 24241248 and 24243874 parts are front units.

#10 ·
the 2nd planet pictured. You do not want that imported unit. Very weak. Will break with moderate HP, where the splined tube inserts into the planet.

Use only GM planets when using the 5 pinion gear design

#13 ·
your photo of planet 2 looks like the cheap import planet. Cast iron material used is weak. They split at splines where the tube from the front ring gear slides in when used with higher HP. GM 4 pinion planet is much stronger than this cast iron 5 pinion planet

Use only GM planets when needing 5 pinion planets. Cost is high. Much stronger than the cast iron stuff your photo shows.

Unless the aftermarket cast iron 5 pinion was upgraded, they are weak

Reactions: tj81
#14 ·
As you can tell, I do not have much experience with this 5 planetary upgrade.
Both of the planetarys I posted pictures of are about $110.
Both are from supposed transmission shops that install these all the time in HP trannys with no failures.
Both have different construction methods.
EVERYONE warns about using the cheap weaker planetary, but obviously price has nothing to do with it.
And that is the point of my question in this thread..
How can someone identify a strong GM (or GM like) planetary? And avoid making a bad decision....

#15 ·
I ordered mine thru Transmission center.com. it came in a sealed AC Delco box if I remember right. I thought that was weird, trans parts in an AC Delco box. I paid around 160.00 just for the rear. You know you can use torrington bearings with a 5 planet. And mine was heaver than the 4.

#16 ·
The ones they sell are $116 now- and look like planet 1 of my pictures.
They say that all the GM ones are gone, but the ones they sell are top quality aftermarket units...Yes, I know about the bearings..Thanks!

I wish somebody would post a picture of a weaker type of plantary - or an exploded 5 pinion planetary of the weaker type....
A pic seems hard to find of the weaker units that have exploded...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.