Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 pressures?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ASE Doc 
#1 ·
I know that experienced members will likely tell me to just connect a pressure gauge and find out for myself but, I would like to get some input on a concern that I have. I just recently rebuilt my 700R4 and installed a new 10 vane pump with the high rev slide spring. I also added the Sonnax line boost kit with heavier TV valve spring, .500boost valve and larger low/reverse boost valve. My concern comes from something I read about the pump pressure relief valve. With all of the line boost and other pressure rise mods installed, can I still expect pressure to be set by the pressure relief spring? One article stated that the stock spring is set for 165psi. That would be low for my application. I am hoping for more like 300psi at full TV. Any thoughts. I do plan on purchasing a 400PSI gauge to check this out for myself but I wanted to get the question out there and see what experience others may have had with this.

#2 ·
Even the OEM setup runs past 165 psi in reverse gear at high TV cable pull.

I' ve run near 300 psi on units. Make sure the pump parts are good quality for that work out at 300 psi

#3 ·
I guess I won't likely see 300PSI with the set up I'm running now. More like 250 or so. I was just worried that I might be lower. I guess the fact that it shifts and holds gears very solid should be enough evidence that the pressures are good. I did just order a new 400PSI gauge today so I'll be able to verify pressure soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.