700R4 pressures - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 pressures

I have installed a Mad Dog 700R4 transmission behind my Stroked 350 with a tri power set up I am looking for suggestions for correctly setting the Braided aftermarket TV cable. The research I have found suggest the safest way to set it is to use a pressure gauge on the trans and set the linkage to produce 70 psi at idol then disconnect the TV cable and pull it out until I get 175 psi mark the cable at this point for reference then modify the carb linkage geometry if necessary to get the 70 psi at idol and the 175 psi point at WOT. Any other ideas or suggestions? are these pressures correct?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Last photo:

From what I have read the pressures you quote are OK. Also from what I have read it is important that you adjust the cable so you get a pressure rise right off idle, and make sure the TV cable is not limiting WOT.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM

mad dog 700r4 godfather

Just wanted to know what you think about the tranny that mad dog built? The reason why, I installed the godfather in my 67 camaro and having problem setting the tv cable. It won't kickdown when giving throttle. It also leaks where the "plastic" speedo gear is. Did you have any leaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscam
Just wanted to know what you think about the tranny that mad dog built? The reason why, I installed the godfather in my 67 camaro and having problem setting the tv cable. It won't kickdown when giving throttle. It also leaks where the "plastic" speedo gear is. Did you have any leaks?
Its too early to tell on the Mad Dog no leaks but still looking for information on setting up the TV cable I am looking for a Trans pressure test gauge and figure on setting the cable up by pressure. I hope to find one at Good Guys Indy this weekend. I am still hoping to get some more feed back on the pressure range for this trans!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscam
I too have a few leaks on mine from that same location. I am going to try a bit of teflon paste and see if that doesn't fix it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
I am still hoping to get some more feed back on the pressure range for this trans!

what does the builder tell you the pressures should be? that is what I would worry about
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
what does the builder tell you the pressures should be? that is what I would worry about
I called them and was disappointed they only said the 70 psi at idol and 175 psi at WOT sounded OK their only recommendation was to set the cable full out at WOT. I know I can do that but want to verify the pressure just to be sure the linkage geometry for my tri power is correct. Guess I could buy a service manual but hate to just for the pressures. Is there a high low range I could set to the middle?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I called them and was disappointed they only said the 70 psi at idol and 175 psi at WOT sounded OK their only recommendation was to set the cable full out at WOT. I know I can do that but want to verify the pressure just to be sure the linkage geometry for my tri power is correct. Guess I could buy a service manual but hate to just for the pressures. Is there a high low range I could set to the middle?

I do not understand your "set to the middle comment".

The pressure will rise and falll with the throttle. There is no setting to the middle.

Pressures an the 700's I build run 90 - 100 at idle (minimum TV ) then up to 300 psi at MAX TV if I really lean on the PR boost valve setup I install.

Higher pressures increase operating temps of the oil and stress / wear on the pump.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
I do not understand your "set to the middle comment".

The pressure will rise and falll with the throttle. There is no setting to the middle.

Pressures an the 700's I build run 90 - 100 at idle (minimum TV ) then up to 300 psi at MAX TV if I really lean on the PR boost valve setup I install.

Higher pressures increase operating temps of the oil and stress / wear on the pump.
I guess that is what I am looking for the pressure ranges for example 90 - 100 at idol and the range for WOT. The only thing I could find on the internet said 70 psi at idol and 175 psi WOT. is there a spec range for the 700R4? I was planning on setting it at idol and the marking the cable at the appropriate pressure for WOT then verifying my linkage. Am I making this too difficult I have been told over and over how critical it is. What is you opinion?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I guess that is what I am looking for the pressure ranges for example 90 - 100 at idol and the range for WOT. The only thing I could find on the internet said 70 psi at idol and 175 psi WOT. is there a spec range for the 700R4? I was planning on setting it at idol and the marking the cable at the appropriate pressure for WOT then verifying my linkage. Am I making this too difficult I have been told over and over how critical it is. What is you opinion?
main pressure of the 700 is a combo of PR spring , 2 different boost valves and the line bias circuit. They all work together .

GM used at least 5 different main boost valve sizes... from a .365 to a .471. 3 or 4 different low/reverse boost valves were used. Aftermarket main boost valves run up to .575

GM engineered the TV cable to be at full pull at WOT ........period. Pressures and shift points are controlled with different springs and valve sizes in the v-body and governor.

175 psi at max TV is a pressure I think of for a modest HP street application.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
main pressure of the 700 is a combo of PR spring , 2 different boost valves and the line bias circuit. They all work together .

GM used at least 5 different main boost valve sizes... from a .365 to a .471. 3 or 4 different low/reverse boost valves were used. Aftermarket main boost valves run up to .575

GM engineered the TV cable to be at full pull at WOT ........period. Pressures and shift points are controlled with different springs and valve sizes in the v-body and governor.

175 psi at max TV is a pressure I think of for a modest HP street application.
Thanks for the info I really didn't know what I was getting into when I got the bright idea to add the new 700R4 behind my new stroked 350! Transmission work is as much an art as it is a science and I really am lost so I appreciate your experience!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.