700r4 prob. maybe miner? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 prob. maybe miner?

ok names kenny i have an 85 chevy 3/4 and i recently put a 350 in since i couldnt fit my th350 tranny in it i left the 700r4.drove it prob. 2 days now it seems to be stuck in low or overdrive.shifts into drive and reverse fine but doesnt switch gears.I may be the cause of the prob. since i didnt hook up the tree wires that come out of it.and i hear theres supposed to be vaccume?ok also the t.v. cable may have not been adjusted properly.now i'm at the point i got the pan off new t.v. cable and i'm gonna throw everything together and try and hook up the wires(vaccume).And adjust the cable correct and hopefully it works.now if it doesn't is it burnt out(time for a new one).is there anything else i can do or check.what is the prob?
thanks to anyone who responds.
p.s. this site is cool i will put in some suggestions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM

check vacum and and also fluid but sounds more like a vacum not hooked up

Fordmann
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

The TV cable needs proper adjustment AND travel (pull). To save a bunch of typing here's a link to all you'd ever want to know about the TV system on a GM overdrive. There are no vacuum modulators on a TH700R4.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/tvcable_inst...stockcable.php

Last edited by C-10; 04-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM

ok i will hook up the vacuum and try it again

c-10 i dont know if it has vacuum modulators or not but the trans has 3 wires coming off it and on the 305 i took outta there they where hooked up to lines on the carb so i don't know.which i think are for vaccum?
if i understand right the t.v. cable just controls the overdrive and it should still shift even if it's not hooked up correct?either way it wouldn't stop shifting if it wasn't adjusted perfect?
again it's an 85 chevy 3/4 ton 2wheeldrive.the trans is new but the same one that it replaced.it had a 305 in it(with all the pollution STUFF on it).I put a 350 in it drove it for 2 days now theres no 2nd,3rd,or 4th.just low.
THANK YOU both for your help any other ansers,comments,questions, or suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED.
p.s.might have spelled that wrong sorry
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotbox
if i understand right the t.v. cable just controls the overdrive and it should still shift even if it's not hooked up correct?
no no no!
The TV cable is the ONLY link to the outside world your trans has. It follows the throttle position at all times and varies line pressure combined with the governor speed to make your trans shift. Your new trans won't last long if this the TV cable is not connected. All gears 1,2,3,4 need to have the TV cable hooked up. For the sake of your transmission's life expectancy, get that TV properly hooked up. Go here http://www.tvmadeez.com/ and read all you can. Look at their installation guides.

The square plug on the left side is for your torque converter lock-up feature. Think of this as kind of a 5th gear. The small vacuum hose connects to a vacuum operated electrical switch that tells the converter to lock at light throttle loads. This will help fuel mileage some. This vacuum line isn't for shifting- like the old TH350's had.

If I lived closer, I'd come and help you and your old truck out!

Last edited by C-10; 04-09-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM

thank you c-10

ok i don't have to tell you how much that info helped me......You already know!so i hooked everything up as good as i could.adjusted the TV cable pretty good i'm sure.It does shift now but......first to second doesn't shift right away races out abit before it shifts.what could this be(assuming it's not the TV cable)it shifts good it is ONLY 1-2 it stutters.
any input at all is greatful!
thank you again C-10 for helping my old chevy truck.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.