700R4 Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Problem

I`m a New Member, Old Rodder, I have a Nice 1961 FORD STARLINER and have had a 700 R4 installed in lieu of the standard "Cruiseomatic". The Car has the "401" engine in it. 4:11 Gears .
The problem is that it seems to either go thru a half gear or is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. I can`t stand this. I want it to go 1,2,3,4. It acts like it`s going thru
5 gears. I`ve been told that it`s in the "Lockup". I don`t understand what this means, What is a "lockup?"
What can I do to get this to shift right?
Thanks
Ed
fsd2@cox.net

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Plan B

Last photo:

700r4

The 700r4 should lock-up in 4th gear (stock set up). The torque converter is locked in by a solenoid when the trans is in 4th. There is a switch inside the trans that triggers this. This trans needs 12v key on power to operate. There should also be a vacuum switch that is in that hot wire to only allow it to lock under vacuum. This is a stock set up. You can put a kit in it to let you manually
lock it in 2nd and 3rd. I just did mine with a tci kit this way. I also put a little l.e.d. light between the manual switch and ground just for kicks. There is plenty of info here for you to check out. Hope this helps..Brad
Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffmaned
I`m a New Member, Old Rodder, I have a Nice 1961 FORD STARLINER and have had a 700 R4 installed in lieu of the standard "Cruiseomatic". The Car has the "401" engine in it. 4:11 Gears .
The problem is that it seems to either go thru a half gear or is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. I can`t stand this. I want it to go 1,2,3,4. It acts like it`s going thru
5 gears. I`ve been told that it`s in the "Lockup". I don`t understand what this means, What is a "lockup?"
Thanks
Ed
fsd2@cox.net
i am not a transmission guy by any stretch of the imagination but just from being around this stuff it seems that a lot of the issues are in the TV cable adjustment. If it is incorrect it will shift wrong and burn up the transmission in short order. There are several threads on this adjustment and I believe it gets trickier with retrofits.

Chet
Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The factory recommended adjustment of the 700R4 TV cable is as follows. Hold the throttle at wide open by what ever means available. Easiest to have somebody hold the go pedal to the floor. Depress the tab on the TV cable adjustment and tighten the cable until all the free travel is gone. I mean 'tight' . If it shifts too hard for your liking from 1st to 2nd, you can loosen the cable (very slightly), I mean, don't go more than 1/16" at a time. It is very sensitive. I attached the wiring diagram for manual control of the lockup converter. Don't forget to ground (pin D). It works fantastic great in my T-bucket. BTW Since neither you nor I are using a factory GM brake light switch, a 5 pin relay works great. Let me know if you need help wiring the relay. But if you have any electrical knowledge at all, you won't need my help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700R4  WIRING DIAGRAM.gif
Views:	367
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	61113  

Last edited by adantessr; 12-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. T. Soggmeyer
The 700r4 should lock-up in 4th gear (stock set up). The torque converter is locked in by a solenoid when the trans is in 4th. There is a switch inside the trans that triggers this. This trans needs 12v key on power to operate. There should also be a vacuum switch that is in that hot wire to only allow it to lock under vacuum. This is a stock set up. You can put a kit in it to let you manually
lock it in 2nd and 3rd. I just did mine with a tci kit this way. I also put a little l.e.d. light between the manual switch and ground just for kicks. There is plenty of info here for you to check out. Hope this helps..Brad

Good info there, Prof. I wired mine up with a LED lighted rocker switch.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffmaned
Thanks
Ed
fsd2@cox.net
All the info above is good. But you must assure you have the correct geometry on the carb linkage. There are many threads in the section on this very subject just search on 700R4.

Also, the 700R4 should shift three times and then the converter clutch should lock, which will feel like a 4th shift. Sometimes the 3rd shift and the converter clutch will lock nearly at the same time, so you might not feel the lockup.

Try this thread first.

Good luck and come back with more questions and don't forget to post when you get it going correctly.

Oh, Welcome too!

Last edited by Overdriv; 12-26-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more text
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

tv cable setting is definally important the lock up drops rpms about 300 rpms by locking the torque converter directly to the transmission elemating slippage it is done electricly unless a mechanical lock up conversion has been done .Under normal driving it should shift about 2500 rpm give or take afew rpms like mentioned in the aboved post you have to hsave the correct tv linage and adjustment
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
The factory recommended adjustment of the 700R4 TV cable is as follows. Hold the throttle at wide open by what ever means available. Easiest to have somebody hold the go pedal to the floor. Depress the tab on the TV cable adjustment and tighten the cable until all the free travel is gone. I mean 'tight' . If it shifts too hard for your liking from 1st to 2nd, you can loosen the cable (very slightly), I mean, don't go more than 1/16" at a time. It is very sensitive. I attached the wiring diagram for manual control of the lockup converter. Don't forget to ground (pin D). It works fantastic great in my T-bucket. BTW Since neither you nor I are using a factory GM brake light switch, a 5 pin relay works great. Let me know if you need help wiring the relay. But if you have any electrical knowledge at all, you won't need my help.
so...under normal operation, when you use this lockup system, you will only lock up in 4th gear?

BTW, thanks for the information.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:52 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by revspan
so...under normal operation, when you use this lockup system, you will only lock up in 4th gear?

BTW, thanks for the information.
If you have it wired up through a toggle switch like I do, it will lockup in 3rd speed also, maybe even 2nd. Not sure on that, but it will lockup in 3rd for sure. I have driven with the switch on and it does suffer on acceleration because of not having the torque converter letting the rpm come up, and it also shifts harder. The 5 pin relay has a wiring schematic of the internal wiring of the relay embossed on the side of it, so betwee the wiring diagram I attached and that, you can't go wrong with even a little electrical knowledge. The reason that you want the relay in there is so that the torque converter unlocks when you apply the brakes, even with the switch on. Big Al
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

If you want 4th gear lockup only, Go here.

This is the most desirable setup for completely automatic operation of the TCC.

Or if you want more control of the TCC, which is more desirable to me check out the picture below.

ETA: the references to switch locations and wire colors is for my application only. Yours will differ depending on how you do it. Good Luck!

Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCC Control4.jpg
Views:	3568
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	61294  

Last edited by Overdriv; 01-01-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: clarifing
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

Relay needed?

The first schematic shows no relay used, the second one shows a relay. Does the current draw demand a relay? Either way is fine for me...just don't want to overcomplicate it if it isn't needed.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The first schematic shows no relay used, the second one shows a relay. Does the current draw demand a relay? Either way is fine for me...just don't want to overcomplicate it if it isn't needed.
Who are you talking too?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

oops, I looked closer at your post(ovrdrv), and now see that the relay in your drawing is not part of the transmission TC lockout. Sorry, I should have looked closer.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
oops, I looked closer at your post(ovrdrv), and now see that the relay in your drawing is not part of the transmission TC lockout. Sorry, I should have looked closer.
The inline photo of my wiring for the TCC does indeed use a relay as does the WiKi linked diagram.

One could do it without a relay but I've found a relay helps unload the switches and lets you use smaller wiring in your control section. Each to his own, I prefer to use relay for nearly everything these days.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM

my vehicle is completely stripped of all the "factory" electrical stuff. everything is on switches now, the "brake" switch has a normaly closed switch but when you press down on the brake pedal it goes to an open switch, any reason why i shouldnt wire my tcc through that switch?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.