700R4 problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 problem

Hello guyz and Galz

I am having a problem with my 700R4.. I should start from the beginning to make sure I get my problem understood...

I am by no means a Mechanic or know how to work on cars..

I have have a 1989 Toyota pickup which had a 22RE 4 banger and an automatic trans.. Not going into what happened to it, I will tell you I replaced the engine and trans with a chevy 4.3 running a 700R4 behind it.

Now I did this engine and trans change about 7 yrs. ago and luv it.. I have more power and better gas mileage..

Now about 4 - 5 yrs ago I parked the truck and left it sitting in my backyard, and about 2 yrs. ago I changed the rearend with a V6 model and added more stock leaf springs to help the saggy rearend, which made me have to get the Driveshaft shortened, and in doing that, I of course lossed some trans fluid.

Another problem I had was the power steering pump started leaking real bad so I changed it with another I had sitting around. But as I was getting the power steering pump all worked out and getting the air out of the system I had the truck in park running, for about 10 - 15 mins at a time and about 4 times.

So brings me to the problem I am having now.. I got my truck out of the backyard and got it ready to use again, and when I took it for a test drive the truck would shift from 1 - 2 no problem - like it should, but when it shifts from 2 -3 it would act like I put it in neutral - Freewheel - .

Now when I changed the driveshaft I lost 2 quarts of ATF and didnt replace it, and when I got the power steering pump installed and ran the truck to remove the air from the system, I ran it without replacing the lost 2 quarts of ATF.

So is it possible I fried the 3 - 4 clutch pack just by running it 2 quarts low or do you think I have a sticking valve - servo - or bad switch ?
I did put the truck on jackstands and tried to run it through the gears to try and fix it, buy it still losses 3rd gear

Oh and I drove the first test drive without adding the 2 quarts of ATF, then I added the ATF to bring it up to full and the tranny did the same thing.

Also I have the lock-up wired up with a push button on the dash and 1 wire going to the trans... I luv having control of the O/D and all the gear ratio's it lets me play with.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM

I pulled the pan and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary..
Anybody have a list parts and order of what I should check before I crack open the front pump and pull the guts out.

At worst a webpage of what the parts are and what they do would be awesome. like this animation of how the servo works.
700R4 / 4L60E Animated Servo Operation

It really aloud me to fully understand what the servo does..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

If the engine revs up when the trans should shift to 3rd gear, the 3-4 clutch pack is likely smoked or at least not operating.

The band releases and if the 3-4 clutch does not apply, the engine revs up
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Yep...That's what it does

With the way the tranny is tucked into the body and exhaust. In order for me to do any checking or work other than the valve body area, I would need to pull the tranny.

What part order does the tranny use to engage 3RD gear ¿

I can get to the 3-4 accumulator since it is in the Valve body area..

One idea that keeps popping in my head - is wondering if the rubber seals could have shrunk or deteriorated - due to it sitting unused for so long..
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM

I dropped the 2-4 accumulator and the spring between the plate and piston is broke in half..
Could that be why the tranny acts like it's in neutral when it is suppose to shift into 3RD ¿?¿
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipower View Post
I dropped the 2-4 accumulator and the spring between the plate and piston is broke in half..
Could that be why the tranny acts like it's in neutral when it is suppose to shift into 3RD ¿?¿
What are you calling the 2-4 accumulator? Since there is no such accumulator in the trans

There is a 1-2 which unbolts and the 3-4 in the case. Replace the piston , see what the trans does
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
What are you calling the 2-4 accumulator? Since there is no such accumulator in the trans

There is a 1-2 which unbolts and the 3-4 in the case. Replace the piston , see what the trans does

My bad..you got it right...Daaaaa 2-4 lol

I unbolted the 3 bolts and pulled the 1-2 accumulator and the spring was broke..the one between the piston and plate.

I finally found a tranny book for this tranny - it shows me the hydraulic paths " flow chart " so O can follow where the fluid starts and what parts it goes through, and where the shift valves on the valvebody are, I will blow air into the exhaust ports on them and listen for the packs engaging.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM

Can I use air to check the tranny with the valve body still attached ¿ if so, what ports will I use the air gun to check if the clutch packs are engaging or not.. I used air in the fluid exhaust ports on the valve body and ATF came oozing out of other places - is that normal ¿

Also with the 1-2 accum. off and the separator plate still attached -- I see a check ball lying in a hole in the separator plate.. I can not pull the check ball out since ,the ball is to big --- but I can stick something in there and move the ball around
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Isn't the 3-4 accum. check ball suppose to be held in place..as in the capsule with check ball..

So with my 3-4 accum. check ball out of the capsule..it is moving freely in the 3-4 accum and not doing it's job..the check ball can not stop fluid flow because the check ball is not in place in the capsule
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM

I don't know where to begin to help you.. A flare on 2-3 usually indicates the 3rd & 4th clutches are gone. The broken 1-2 accumulator spring will have no bearing on this what-so-ever so that is NOT your problem. The check ball you see trapped between the plate & the case is supposed to be there. That is the check ball for the 3-4 accumulator. It is not in a "capsule". Only the 2-3 ball capsule pressed into the case behind the 2-4 servo features a check ball trapped in a metal capsule. All other check balls in this trans are either trapped between the Sep. plate & case, or Sep. plate & VB.

You say the truck has sat for a few years & not been running. Is it possible that this is why you parked it those years ago?

Also, I've seen it quite a bit on older 700's-the end of the TV cable that attaches to the induction system hardens, cracks, then falls off. When this happens the trans will still shift-albeit very early-but will quickly burn up the 3rd & 4th clutches. You see it as an early 1-2 shift, then a flare on 2-3.. Running it low on fluid is not a good idea either. If you knew it was at least 2 quarts low, why not fill it before you drive it?

I think if it were mine, I'd go ahead and pull it and rebuild the entire thing. The broken 1-2 accumulator spring tells you that you have more problems than what you are chasing anyway.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.