Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 problems after rebuild

8K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  91chevyss 
#1 ·
Ok Im wondering if you can help me. I got the trans installed back in the truck and Im having some problems. I have reverse neutral 1st and I believe 2nd not sure about 3rd or 4th. When I take off I feel it shift out of 1st and Im not sure what gear its goes too but its not that hard or firm like i thought it would be and I dont really feel it shift any more but i can get up to atleast 60 or more but its not really over revving like if it was 2nd and I dont think I could reach that mph in 2nd gear. I also dont really feel a downshift. I had a friend that does some work on transmissions and he adjusted my tv cable to where it should atleast shift through all gears. I rebuilt it with a transgo 700 2-3 reprogramming kit and a corvette servo and .500 boost valve the rebuild kit came from monster trans but just a delux kit I belive. Thanks please help.

#4 ·
I didnt air check it and I should have but I thought it was the shims that i installed from the transgo kit so I pulled the cover and pulled everthing out and reinstalled the factory spring and snap ring in the servo. Then pan gasket is a cork gasket. Is it possible to air check the servo with the trans in the truck. will it downshift from 3-1? I dont really want to dog it or burn the trans up. I thinking the same thing that I only have 1st and 3rd but would I be able to manually put it in second if the servo was leaking?

#6 ·
if I remember right you can check the band by having someone inside to run it up though the gears on jack stands and you push in on the servo cover to apply the band . to check if you missed the band drop the pan and look by the shifter linkage by the valve body you can see the band there . if you push and hold on the servo cover you should see the band move to hold the drum. with a screw driver check that it is holding the drum from moving.
jim

#7 ·
i took it for a drive yesterday and it will manually go to second and it will shift out of 1st at 3000 when in od but dont feel anything after that but mph increases fairly well and its not down shifting that i know of but i did floor it on the way back and i guess it came out of adjustment because it wont stay in gear unless i have the gas half way down. could it be the clearance in the 3-4? i put the same amount of steels and clutches but took out the helper springs which transgo said to do. could it be the 4 seals that are on the input shaft that the pump sit on? anything else before i pull the trans back out? also unhooked top line at radiator and fluid shot out.

#9 ·
im gonna order a new tv cable tonight or go to dealership tomorrow on lunch. I looked at the governor before i put it in the trans but I can take a look at it tomorrow because its still wet outside. Do i need the tv corrector bracket? summit has one for $20. any valves in valve body that would cause this?

#10 ·
was this tranny in and worked before the rebuild or is it a swap. for the time it takes to drop the valve body and check I would check it first
if nothing else works before pulling the tranny . did the rebuild kit come with 2 sets of valve body gaskets (aux and non aux valve body gaskets)

#11 ·
The trans is the original one that came with the truck. when I still had tbi it was working but not completely it started loosing third and just before it was suppose to go to third it would rev up and i would let off the gas and then it would go in gear and I could keep going and would also downshift when ever I wanted it to. well I wanted to switch to carb which was an edelbrock and when I done it my factory bracket was to far back at the original spot for the cables to reach the carb so I moved the bracket up a bolt hole and im currently using only one bolt to hold down. After the carb swap it would still down shift and go through all the gears but under full throttle after it was in 4th I belive it started slipping because my rpms would go back and forth a little. once i got the money I ordered the transgo 700 2-3 and a rebuilt kit with new clutches and steels, band, seals, a corvette servo and a .500 boost valve and so on but just before i pulled the trans i messed with my adjustment on the tv cable to see if that what was causing the full throttle slip but I never got to test drive before I pulled it. The rebuild kit came with two sets of valve body gasket and I have aux. vavle body also the transgo kit came with a set of valve body gaskets so I have an extra set. I didnt order the tv cable yet but I ordered the tv cable geometry corrector bracket that goes on the side of the carb from summit last night.

#14 ·
Im gonna try to call transgo tomorrow and see what they say but I can take some pics of the instructions but there a little dirty lol. the instructions only showed some of the checkballs but didnt say anything about leaving any out and Ill check the gasket I have tomorrow. Thanks for the help

#15 ·
installed tv corrector didnt really help but i floored it and it wouldnt down shift also floored it starting in 1st and manually went to second and nothing shifted to drive and it shifted then i went to od and no change. 3000 at about 60 or 65 with 3.73 s and it should be around 2000-2400 i believe.

#17 · (Edited)
Alright I got the trans back together. I had removed the pan and valve body to drill the one hole to the correct size and left the big check ball out and set my tv cable to the correct spot at full throttle the plunger is flush with the valve body. I also check the band and I didnt miss it with the servo pin because when I pushed in on the cover the band moved in but when I checked the tightness on the band it was loose regardless if the cover was pushed in or not so I took the seperator plate off and the band anchor was still in place so I took a magnet and removed the anchor and the hole in the band where the anchor sits in was no where near the hole in the trans where its suppose to sit, so I lined the hole back up and set the anchor in place and check the band and it was snug moved a little though and when I pushed the servo cover in the band got tight and I couldnt move it. I put everything back together and took it for a test drive and I now have all gears and I could feel it shift three different times. I got to add a little more fluid but it was shifting nice I may need atleast a quart. Im gonna do another test drive today and see what it does with the fluid at the correct level. Thanks Jed. Im guessing the band jumped off the anchor when I was moving the trans around or when I was wiggling the drum around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.