Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 problems, locks up in reverse

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hottwheelzz 
#1 ·
I'm new to the site hoping you can help me. I have the same issue with my 700r4 that you had with yours. in Reverse the car acts as if the breaks are on. how did you resolve the issue with your car doing the same . your help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
hotwheelz, it would be better if you started a new post of your own so that anyone looking does not have to read through all of these old posts to get to yours.

Also, what is the history on your trans? Recently rebuilt? Used? Junk-yard unit? You will have to tell us a lot more in order for us to be able to assist you with your problem. Give us that info on a NEW post please.

#4 ·
700r4 binds up in reverse.

I have a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am 383 lt1 crate motor it. I'm stalled a 700r4 with a reverse manual valve body, freshly built from monster transmission. brand new with a 3600 stall. the vehicle goes through all the four years just fine with no leaks however it does bind up in Reverse. I did not want to drive it too far until I find out what the problem is any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Binding up in reverse is usually caused by one of the following:
1. Missing snap ring for center support/low-reverse sprag
2. No clearance/not enough clearance in forward clutch stack
3. Cross leak somewhere in transmission allowing fluid to apply fwd.clutch pack while shift selector is in "R".

Since your valve body is NOT STOCK there may be an issue with how the valve body was modified causing your problem.

If you have a warranty on this transmission, I would call the builder/building company and explain what is going on. They may have suggestions as to what to try to fix it, or they may want to ship you another transmission. Since the trans is working normally in Forward gears, it's not likely something that you caused by improper installation.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.