Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 Question

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  roger1 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 305 TPI engine and 700R4 transmission out of a 1991 Z28 with 63K miles on it.

I got to hear the engine run in the car before I bought it. The car was a creampuff but the guy picked up an LS1 he wanted to put in the car.

I'm going to put this combination in my '57 Chevy pickup. But, it is probably going to be at least a year before it's in and running.
It's now been about 2 months since I got it and the only thing I've done so far is separate the transmission (1FZM model) from the engine and set it on the floor of my shop.

I will assume the fluid has never been changed in it but I don't know that's the case.

So, my question is what I should do to the transmission now in preparation for storage for at least a year?

Btw, I found it on craigslist and it was exactly what I was looking for to put in the pickup. I think I got a steal on it too. Paid $1000 for the combo including all the accessories and ECU.

#2 ·
Pictures always make things more interesting.

Pictures of the car right before the engine was removed:

A few days later here's the engine/transmission in the back of my El Camino:

Here's the pickup it's going into: (This project is for my wife. My car is a '55 Bel Air.)

She won't drive it the way it is now. It's got a 235 6 cyl and a 3 speed on the column that pops of of second sometimes. But, it's the manual steering that is the real problem for her. Of course she wants A/C and a new paint job too.

#3 · (Edited)
Very nice!!...My advice is that you do nothing to it for now.I'd leave the fluid and the converter in it,put it in a plastic drum liner to keep your floor oil free, and stow it away in a dry corner somewhere.Then when you're ready to install it,flip the converter into a bucket to drain it,change the front and rear seals,throw a filter and pan gasket on it ,dress it up,and away you go...Thats gonna be a really nice conversion when it's done.Good luck with it.

#7 ·
I agree with rick... I am not sure or not, if it matters if there is ATF in it or not.. Not sure if having no ATF in it during storage will dry out the seals and give you internal leaks or not... For me, just to be safe I would make sure the ATF does not drain out during storage....

#8 · (Edited)
Follow up Questions

Bringing this back to the top because I'm within 2 days work of firing this setup up. It's been 17 months since it's been running now. Answers to my questions will be appreciated.

I left the fluid in the transmission until last fall when I cleaned up the transmission, painted it and installed it in the chassis. Here's a pic from last October when I did that:

I drained as much fluid as I could get out of both the transmission and torque converter. I pulled pull the pan and put in a new filter. I didn't change the seals, I had forgotten that that was suggested here. I'll go with it the way it is and deal with it if there are leaks.

So my questions now are:

How much transmission fluid should I buy?
What's the best brand of fluid?
How much fluid do I put in initially before firing the engine?
Should I get any additive or conditioner?

Btw, here's how the engine looks in the bay:

I haven't painted the exterior of the truck yet. I did paint the firewall though before installing the cab back on the frame.

Here's my build thread if anyone is interested:

I guess it's about time I start a project thread for my wife's '57 3200 pickup.

#12 ·
I'm assuming you didn't get all the fluid out of the torque converter because there should be at least a qt. & a half of ATF in it before you fire it up. Fill the trans. up to the dip stick line, start the engine an let it run for about 30 sec. then shut it down. Then refill the the trans. and start it again for 30 sec. & shut it down. Keep doing that until the fluid level stays the same. I'd start off with 2 gals. of Dex 3. That might be a little more than you need but it would be a good idea to to a fluid change after a 100 miles or so. No additive needed.

#13 ·
Thanks for the tips.

I tried to pour as much fluid out the torque converter as I could but I know there is still some in it. How much I don't know.

Why do you say to do a fluid change after a 100 miles?

#18 ·
Got the engine started yesterday. The transmission took 9 quarts.

roger1,
Don't really have any advice re the motor/tranny, but will offer that you should take REALLY good care of that little lady!!
Any wife that likes old pickups is a definite KEEPER!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Tom
I try to Tom. She definitely is a keeper.

. By '91 the TPI 305 was a nice engine... nearly as powerful as the TPI 350... the TPI setup actually was better suited to the 305...
I've had 3 of TPI's before with one being a 305. I know the technology is old but I still have a love for these engines. I jumped when I found this one for sale with only 63K miles on it. I think it will be a perfect setup for what my wife will use the truck for.
The only things I did to it besides clean and paint it were to put a new timing chain on and upgrade it to Bosch D3 injectors. I already think the injectors were a good investment. This engine idles perfectly smooth.

#20 · (Edited)
When GM came out with these in '85, I was very skeptical about them. But, I bought an '85 Vette and the engine was just great. I traded that for a '90 Vette and it was wonderful too. Back in the '90's I swapped in an '88 Trans Am 305 TPI /700R4 into a '76 El Camino SS and it was a really good combo.

It doesn't have sequential firing like the LS motors have so it's a little behind there too.

I hang out on Trifive.com and got a little flack for not going with a newer 5.3 liter engine. I thought I got a good deal on this TPI and transmission that only had 63K miles on it for a $1000. On trifive.com they told me I could get a 5.3L/4L60e for that much money. But, I sure don't see them for sale around here. The TPI looks SO much better too.

#23 ·
Roger, there are systems now like Megasquirt that will fire the injectors sequentially on any multi port system. That is if you would want to go through the work and cost of doing it. I'm sure you are happy with the way it is now.

I will add the truck is looking great. Clean install. :thumbup:

#24 ·
Thanks.

It seems to be running great. I've got an old Rinda Diacom setup that allows me to see all the functions and it all appears great.

I had Larry's Electric build the harness and program the chip. When I pulled the injectors for inspection, I noticed that they didn't match brands/styles so I opted for a set of reconditioned Bosch D3 injectors. It seems to idle better than any TPI I've had before.

#25 ·
Update

Just getting this truck on the road now and the transmission is working absolutely great!

I'm also shocked with how fast it is with it just being a 305. It turned out to be a perfect engine for this truck.

It will light 'em up around a corner and will break loose from a strait standstill too. It's got a 3.54 with the Dana trac-loc posi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.