700R4 questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 questions

i have a 700 r4 in my 1981 chevy truck and i dont know the first things about transmissions. i do know that there is an electrical connector on the trans, and i have no idea what it does. it is not connected as there is nothing to connect to it. the trans seemed to work fine, it just shifted a little too soon so i shifted it manually. i was just curious as to what this is for. thank you for any help.

mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455c-10
i have a 700 r4 in my 1981 chevy truck and i dont know the first things about transmissions. i do know that there is an electrical connector on the trans, and i have no idea what it does. it is not connected as there is nothing to connect to it. the trans seemed to work fine, it just shifted a little too soon so i shifted it manually. i was just curious as to what this is for. thank you for any help.

mike
It is for the TCC> Torque converter lockup solenoid,for overdrive, since the 700R4 did not come stock in that truck there are no connections present if they were not installed with that tranny? if you can you might want to ask the installer if that tranny has been modified with a non lockup converter??? if not then you should hook it up as prolonged operation without lockup can burn up that tranny! there are wiring kits available trough B&M and TCI cost about 75.00 bucks and are easy to install!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:16 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

how do those wiring kits work? do they just hook up through the carb? there is no computer whatsoever in my truck, or if there is there isnt one hooked up.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

nevermid that last post i answered my own question using another post. but i am curious on how the torque convertor lockup has anything to do with braking. as you can tell i have no idea whatsoever about transmissions. the wiring i can do and do it great, i just dont know what it does...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM

For all practical discussion, the TCC locks the engine and transmission together just like a manual clutch would. Now you wouldn't want to brake in a manual car and leave the clutch on, that's where the braking component comes in. Tying a switch into the brakelight circuit disengages the clutch so you don't stall at a stop.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

before i put the 350 in my truck i had a 305 hooked up to this trans and everything worked fine. did i just not have a lockup torque convertor? and i am assuming that installing the wiring harness wouldnt do anything, would it?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I would venture a thought that you were just lucky it didn't burn the 700R4 up, by not hooking up the TCC wiring.
It is more than merely a "good idea" to hook it up, it is NECESSARY, and only a matter of time before the transmission will go south on you.

Look up the wiring diagram for the connector on the transmission and temporarily install a switch to allow it to work, take the truck out for a test drive and somewhere above 45mph switch it on and see if the torque converter locks up and makes any difference.

Don't switch it off until you let off the gas and see if it tries to drag the rpm's of the engine down, this is a positive test of TCC lockup, maybe not the right one. Let it get down around 35 to 30 mph before determining that you have a locking converter.

If so, consider buying the lockup control kit from one of the many sources out there that sell them.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:25 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

if i got a wiring diagram would it be that hard to just build one. im not new at all to wiring and that is definetly something that i know about.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

This link shows one of the kits available.
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=336
THis link shows wiring diagrams for both types they sell.
http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/relay_.../diagram.shtml
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

thank you for answering my stupid questions. y'all are great
Old 08-11-2005, 03:19 PM

For the DIY aspect, the only things you need to buy are the special little 4-position, weather-tight connector that plugs into the transmission, and a relay. I think you could figure it out from the diagram on the link posted by M&M. That's the same setup i'm using now, but I'll throw my .02 in here. The one thing that would make it optimal is a vacuum switch hooked into the manifold vaccum. When you're in 4th gear and locked up, kickdown doesn't exactly work like it should. So ideally what the vacuum switch does for you is disengages the clutch (in the same-manner that the brake circuit does) whenever the manifold vacuum drops below a point (say 5 in.hg)so that the engine can rev-up and the trans can kickdown properly. I just haven't been able to find one of those switches at a reasonable price or without a whole kit involved =/

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.