Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 rebuild

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  briscoe 
#1 ·
I'm rebuilding 700r4 out of 89 Chev. K2500. The trans had all updates through 98. When I tore it down I found some low-reverse clutch plates in the middle of reaction planetary carrier assembly. They wore a groove about half way up. All the clutch plates in that pack were burnt up. All the other hard parts seem OK. I know I have to replace the carrier assembly but what other hard parts should I replace since I have the thing apart? All the splines on shafts, sun shell ,sun gears, and housing all look fine. I use this pickup only once in a while to tow a trailer. What type of a rebuild kit would you guys recommend? Thanks for the help in advance.

#4 ·

The sungear shell should be updated. make sure you pull the low reverse piston, bottom rear of case, to change the seals.

Transgo Jr shift kit installed will keep the TV valve from sticking, this is a big after rebuild problem.

Hardened pump rings, also from transgo,[ no yo yo kit], will help prevent a catastrophic pump failure.

If your guide rings break in the pump, then you may have room for 16 vanes. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.