700r4 rebuild 3-4 lower pressure plate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 rebuild 3-4 lower pressure plate

Im currently rebuilding my 700r4 trans out of my 91 chevy 1500 2wd and as of right now I have my over run clutch pack assembled and foward clutch assembled and Im getting ready to install my lower pressure plate for my 3-4 clutch pack I have the 5 leg plate set in but my thick pressure plate has a stepped side and smooth side and not sure which way to install it. Does the smoothed side or stepped side need to face me? Can someone help thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

Smooth side faces you.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick 427 For This Useful Post:
91chevyss (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

ok thanks it makes more since that way lol. one other thing because you can never be too sure which way do the return springs or boost springs face? does the side with the springs sticking out face up and which would be touching the bottom side of the top pressure plate or the other way around?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Last photo:

As far as i'm concerned,the proper location for those springs is in the bottom of a garbage can. I never put them back in. I like to call it ''builder preference".Half of a room will put them back in,the other half won't.I just don't like the apply resistence design of them.If you put them back in,the open spring area faces up.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-20-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 AM

Last photo:

lol okay thanks. whats the difference with them in or out?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

As you can see,those are strong, stout springs with very little travel in them before the coils are completely closed..On an initial build,where the clutch clearances are nice and proper,i'm sure there is no difference if they are there or not in reguards to shift feel.But in the long run,when the clutches start wearing and the clearances open up a bit...due to their design,I just feel that those springs do more harm than good by being there.I could get into more detail,but this thread would turn into bathroom reading material.I have never had any issues by leaving those springs out, and I feel its an improvement by not putting them back in,as far as long term shift quality goes.But this is just my opinion,and they will continue to be future land fill to me.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

totally forgot about my transgo shift kit it said to leave those springs out. now I have to pull everything out of the input drum that I put in and i had it completely assembled lol. I have to get rid of the check ball in the drum also.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

an update when I pulled everything out to replace check ball in the input drum and as I was reassembling everything I took a look at the old steel that was above the lower pressure plate and it had the same wear marks as the stepped sided of the plate so does the stepped side need to face or does it matter. I figured the stepped side needs to face me since the marks matched up to an old steel.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

The side of that plate where the lugs are flat/smooth along with the rest of the surface:i.e. completely machined evenly thru the entire surface,faces you when installing....the other side,which is a thin machined ring,and the lugs are not machined,faces down. Thats the piece you are referring to,correct?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

I can disassemble the 3-4 pack and take a pic to be sure since its still out of the trans. But its the pressure plate between the 5 leg plate in which the legs face down and the first steel. And the pressure plate is completely smoothed on one side and stepped all around toward the center on the other side. do you know why its like that and I read somewhere that some are stepped on both sides.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

If it is the style of pressure plate where the inside raised flat portion of that pressure plate is flat and is the width of the clutch or steel,then the raised side indeed faces you.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

91chevyss ; lets get visual, it helps me. Which do YOU have?

Plate for 700r4 :

this will have a thicker plate on top. Spacer plate sometimes ''stepped''... one side is raised , other side is depressed since the plate is ''stamped'' that way

4L60E plate (modifed by me):

This plate, look close: is machined on top flat side. I machine these down to increase area for more frictions & steels. Normally this plate is flat on top. You set friction directly against this plate, no spacer needed like the thin plate in other photo.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Pics sure do help,Crosley...I am assuming he has the 5 legged retainer thats in pic #1...but i'm not sure what style pressure plate he has on top of that.Thanks for jumping in.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I have the 5 leg plate and then the thick plate after the thick its the the first steel. Ill go pull it apart real quick and post a pic. And thanks for helping.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

heres the 5 leg plate and pressure plate with stepped side facing up. [IMG][/IMG]
and the smooth side up and you can tell it has markings on the wide section that look to match the 5 leg plate so I think I have found my answer lol I feel dumb. [IMG][/IMG]
but heres another pic with the stepped side with markings and the first old steel
[IMG][/IMG]
Also if yall can help me clear something up on my transgo reprogramming kit. I have installed the hi rev spring kit in the input drum and changed all the springs and I left out the old helper springs would that affect and clearance or should it be the same as it was still have the factory amount of clutches and steels. Also the 1st step on the reprogramming kit says to grind one of the lands flush all the way around on the PR Valve. Question is what does this do and should I do it and does it make since also installing .500 boost valve. Can post pic for the PR valve if needed. Thanks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.