700R4 rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 rebuild

Hello All,
I have a 700R4 from a 93 Camaro LT1 that I plan to rebuild soon. I've gathered most of the parts needed to accomplish the overhaul and have studied the manuals and have been reading anything I can find on this and other forums. I feel that I have a good understanding of what needs to be done to complete a stock rebuild however I'm looking for some advise on mods that are necessary for a performance rebuild. The trans is original [65K] but not up to the task since I increased the power output of the engine.[Est 350-375HP] It still shifts OK under light throttle application but the 2-3 shift is weak at higher RPM's [5600+]. I've seen many different examples of mods for the 700R4 and am looking to find a good combination for my application. My parts list is as follows:
ZPAK 3 - 4 clutches
B/W everywhere else with new steels
Hardened pump rings with HD spring
Transgo forward & 3 - 4 springs
Upgraded reverse & TV boost valves
Wide red band
B/W input sprag
B/W low/reverse roller clutch
bushings, bearings & seals
Corvette servo with billet 4th servo
HD sunshell w/torrington bearing

I am going to leave out the 5 factory installed 3 - 4 springs, remove the #8 checkball, flip the 3 - 4 accumulator piston & spring, and block the line bias valve along with modifying the VB & spacer per TransGo's instructions.

Any guidance you provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Max

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Anyone want to help?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough
Anyone want to help?

==== some folks have no time for the computer on the weekends... sorry for the slow response

Use a drive shell called "the Beast". The torrington style drive shell is weaker unless they are now modifiing the beast shell.

Make sure the reverse input drum is flat where the wide band applies or buy a new drum.

Upgraded boost valves? Too what size?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Sorry, I'm just anxious for information. I am referring to the two valves in the TransGo kit. Are they an upgrade or just stock replacements?
Thanks for the response.
Max
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

the TransGo parts will be sufficent for your application. main boost is .500 and the low reverse boost valve ( if included) is usually a .282 ... ( IIRC)

Install the RED line bias valve spring from the TransGo kit. It builds plenty of main line pressure. No need to block the line bias valve.

Watch the install of the low/reverse boost valve, some folks install it upside down..... the valve does not function well like that
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Again thanks. What about plugging the check ball in the input drum? I read or heard something somewhere about plugging it and drilling a bleed hole in the side of the drum below the 3 - 4 piston seal to help keep the clutches from burning. Also do you think the later steel pistons are a worthwhile upgrade and if so GM or aftermarket?

Max
Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

leave the check ball assembly in the drum.

THe check ball assembly in the pump cover for the 3-4 circuit was removed by 1993.

There is already a factory bleed hole below the 3-4 piston in the drum. You might want to stake the steel cup plug in the drum. I've seen these cup plugs blow out

Aluminum FWD apply piston in the aluminum drum are a common failure ( cracks) point. If you use the steel based molded rubber FWD apply piston , you must use the matching over-run steel apply piston in the FWD piston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough
Again thanks. What about plugging the check ball in the input drum? I read or heard something somewhere about plugging it and drilling a bleed hole in the side of the drum below the 3 - 4 piston seal to help keep the clutches from burning. Also do you think the later steel pistons are a worthwhile upgrade and if so GM or aftermarket?

Max
Old 03-17-2005, 04:52 PM

OK, thanks again. Is it worthwhile to plug the bleed hole?

Max
Old 05-01-2005, 05:43 PM

I have the trans out and torn down, the band and the 3 - 4 clutches are burnt but the rest looks OK. I tested the servo check valve and found that it leaks so I assume that contributed to the band and clutch problem.

Since I have the Trans Go springs to install would it be beneficial to plug the bleed hole in the input drum and if so is there anything else besides the springs that should be done in conjunction with plugging the bleed hole?

Thanks,
Max

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.