700r4 rebuild... to go heavy duty or not?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 rebuild... to go heavy duty or not??

My 700r4 is behind a SBC in a jeep wrangler. It needed to be rebuilt after I took it swimming... (don't ask...). I tow a 4000lb boat/trailer with it and the rig itself weights about 4000lbs with ford rear end, 33" tires, full size spare, back seat for kids, and the list goes on.

The shop i took it to suggested a "heavy duty" rebuild which involves a bunch of new/upgraded parts: heavy duty 3-4 clutch packs, 5 pin front planetary, front plnetary hub, 5 pinion rear planetary and some changes to the pressure the pump puts out to keep line pressure a little higher.

They also suggested upgrading to a corvette servo to firm up the 1-2 shift... about $50.

To all those trans guys out there... 2 questions (be honest please!!)

1. is this worth the extra $550 the shop wants for the "HD Rebuild parts" or should I stick with the standard rebuild for my application.
2. is the corvette servo worth the cost? Will I notice a difference in a jeep towing a boat or is this just going to give me whiplash when I get on the throttle?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wac
My 700r4 is behind a SBC in a jeep wrangler. It needed to be rebuilt after I took it swimming... (don't ask...). I tow a 4000lb boat/trailer with it and the rig itself weights about 4000lbs with ford rear end, 33" tires, full size spare, back seat for kids, and the list goes on.

The shop i took it to suggested a "heavy duty" rebuild which involves a bunch of new/upgraded parts: heavy duty 3-4 clutch packs, 5 pin front planetary, front plnetary hub, 5 pinion rear planetary and some changes to the pressure the pump puts out to keep line pressure a little higher.

They also suggested upgrading to a corvette servo to firm up the 1-2 shift... about $50.

To all those trans guys out there... 2 questions (be honest please!!)

1. is this worth the extra $550 the shop wants for the "HD Rebuild parts" or should I stick with the standard rebuild for my application.
2. is the corvette servo worth the cost? Will I notice a difference in a jeep towing a boat or is this just going to give me whiplash when I get on the throttle?
I'm not a Pro builder but, this doesn't sound like a Trans that is gonna be babied. Those 4L65E 5 Pinion planetaries aren't cheap,$350-$450. Corvette Servo isn't worth $50, maybe $10. It wont snap your neck, just firm up shift.
Most don't like the Alto 3-4 Power Pack = Thin steels. Z-Pack may be better choice. All in all, I'd upgrade as much as I could afford. Add Beast Sun Shell to the list $45.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
I'm not a Pro builder but, this doesn't sound like a Trans that is gonna be babied. Those 4L65E 5 Pinion planetaries aren't cheap,$350-$450. Corvette Servo isn't worth $50, maybe $10. It wont snap your neck, just firm up shift.
Most don't like the Alto 3-4 Power Pack = Thin steels. Z-Pack may be better choice. All in all, I'd upgrade as much as I could afford. Add Beast Sun Shell to the list $45.
Thanks for the advice

The BEAST is going in... now (it wasn't on the original parts list but several places I read, including your post, suggested it as simple yet strong upgrade)

Z-pack is already on the parts list...

Anything else? I haven't quite drained all the cash out of the Kids college funds yet....
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
What are you doing about the TC?

http://racetransmissions.com/store/i...cPath/21_32_52

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/418

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/419

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/692
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
its homemade, and its cheap!!!

as heavy as that trailer is you should run an extra or bigger tranny cooler, the 700r4 are good trans just make sure you keep it cool, they are notorious for over heating while under a heavy load. even if you dont pull the trailer all the time its a good idea and wont do anything but help you in the long run

Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

As Keiser Rat suggested run a (Large) external cooler and keep the cooler in radiator.
Also read this by Crosley on modifying the Lube to planetaries>> Increase lube oil to 700r4/4l60 rear planets ? the 5-Pinion planets have upgrades for lube, oil circuit that sends fluid to them can be modded.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
As Keiser Rat suggested run a (Large) external cooler and keep the cooler in radiator.
I used to have this one:
http://www.bmracing.com/SPECIALS/Pol...11x4-1-2x1-1-2

but just ordered this one!
http://www.bmracing.com/SPECIALS/Pol...BTU-11x8x1-1-2

should be good right?? almost 3 times the BTU capacity... If I go much bigger my radiator might get jealous....
Old 01-22-2010, 04:46 AM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

What type of Warranty Offered????

Everyone is on track with answered given
Heat is Bad,Swimming is Expensive too
What type of Warranty is on the table???
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsEatFirst

What type of Warranty is on the table???
Minimal... this shop builds for large trucks and other off road rigs... they don't do much for warranty on these because of the nature of the use of the vehicle. (Jeep: 4 wheeling in muddy Florida...original cause for the re-build) Other shops had similar policies. They stand behind the rebuild... but won't stand behind a trans that goes swimming routinely.

With that said... a good friend of my handles their business/shop insurance so the treatment has already been stellar. I'm not worried about getting the cold shoulder if I have a concern in the near future.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 AM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Good Deal

Have a Good Time with it
Youll like the Corvette Servo
Not Harsh At All
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsEatFirst
Have a Good Time with it
Youll like the Corvette Servo
Not Harsh At All
Like it... I LOVE IT!! The trans after the rebuild is better than i thought it would be! Worth the extra bucks for the good parts... and the good shop.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.