700r4 Rebuild Kit--do I need all of these parts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Last journal entry: 1990 ss....... Starting out as just another chevy/ going to end in a show near you
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 Rebuild Kit--do I need all of these parts?

Rebuilding my 700r4. My very first atempt. What tools will i have to get. My main question is I like the look of this rebuild kit but im not sure is i am just waisting my money. Need some guidence.. Please help....I dont wanna go and have to up grade in 6 months or so. Mine as well go ahead and do it now. Also what name brand is the best T/C (TCI)??? Here is the rebuild kit I am looking at and should i get the ----reverse/Input drum---and--TransGo separator plate__thats an extra 100 bucks. is it a must..My application will mostly be for road and every once in a while a little show off of what i love. Thanks your input is GREATLY Appreciated

http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/produ...&cat=19&page=1

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

what i personally would do depending on how much power you putting out, would be 1st check the current reverse input drum and make sure its absolutely flat, if so, i wouldnt worry about the drum.
other than that, id get the dual cage sprag, the z-pack 3-4 clutches, (personal preference after learning a few things from the old man), and depending on if ur going to be running the engine above 5500 WOT the hardened steel rings for 5500 and above, and finally the trans-go separator plate (just to be safe unless you already know that the separator plate in the trans is ok).
the choice of conveter is up to you with the consideration of what youve done to the engine, if its basically stock, then a good rebuilt aftermarket converter from anywhere like WITtrans or a hughes, or as you mentioned should be fine for street use.
only thing i noticed otherwise is the application your putting it in.. that too is important... 1 other thing i might suggest is to go with a corvette servo if you dont already have 1... and get the atsg manual to help you along the way...
these transmissions have a common 2-3 flair issue after rebuild, but if you follow everything closely, you should be ok... best of luck on your first 700R4 rebuild... there a good trans.

p.s. dont forget to add "the beast" sun shell if this kit dont come with it. another weak link in the 700R4...
and im sure there other things others will mention that i didnt, but then again, id say its going to depend on how much you want to spend... lol
Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: 1990 ss....... Starting out as just another chevy/ going to end in a show near you
Last photo:

forgot to mention what Im running

I have a 350 4-bolt main. I just rebuilt the top-end with the Edelbrock Performer RPM kit. 750cfm edl. carbl. I believe i have flat top pistons. My bottem end is stock, will up grade it in the sping. ( is the Eagle bottem end the best) I really dont know how much HP im putting out. Hopefully around the 400's... I have a heavy truck weights 5600..
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 AM

Last photo:

Looks like a very complete kit. May be a little overkill & pricey tho'. I'd shop around some more. I'm not sure what tools are absolutely neccesary for the 700R4/4l60 trans. TCI doesn't have the best reputation.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

http://www.eatmyshifts.com/eatmyshifts_combo.htm

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ode=4L60-700R4

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...arts_s/641.htm

Last edited by SSedan64; 01-18-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

That's a good kit and the price is pretty decent actually.

Keep in mind some places don't give ANY tech info with their kits. TCI, Bulkpart, etc aren't selling youa kit and then answering your questions when you build it and don't know why they sent you a certain part or how to reconfigure the 3-4 clutch pack, or what clearances to set it at, etc.

You'll spend at least that much putting together the same parts from Bulkpart as you would from Dana (website in first post) or me, and you don't get any tech.

Dana's kits and tech are excellent.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.