Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 Rebuild Parts and Advise Questions

6K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  wild_man84 
#1 · (Edited)
I had seen where chrisape had made a post ( im sure its old but I do like to read around before asking, thanks to some friends on here.lol) talking to another guy about a transmission rebuild and he recommended using some parts....

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700...one-113116.html

Well, I have been looking at rebuilding my 700r4 for some time now and (yes- my fist rebuild-transmission that is) im not sure which is the best bang for the buck or what is better but isnt that much better for the price. I was looking at this kit

http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=41&cat=19&bestseller=Y

I thought if I copied the parts and ordered them piece by piece myself it would save me some cash but once I started putting it together didn't know if certain parts came with sills/o-rings/slide...etc..

So, my question I guess would be, is this kit overkill for what I want and have or just pricey..

I want a real strong shift up and a quick shift down. I manually shift during road race or strip. I do drive the interstate often. ( Special thanks for the help of F-bird'88--dencouch--& Mad maggot) Engine--350 about to have a dyno sheet but i would say according to edelbrocks performer rpm top end kit that Im around 400 hp and higher 300 lb/tq. tire size is 245/65 15's. rear 2wd 90 silverado short bed with 3.73 posi rear-end. personal email is cased202664@yahoo.com

Any help and guidance would be a great deal of help.. also, I did go ahead and put all the parts from his other post ( that im sure is old) in a cart and prices have risen lol.

As far as whats wrong with my 700r4 now! Here is what happened... Had it rebuild... lasted about a month.. 3-4th gears slowly started slipping and eventually only had 1st gear.. Took it back the the rebuild place and got it back took it around the block approx.. 15-20 miles and the last red light I took off mildly hard and it had slippage got back home and parked it for a few hours. Went to get in it and go to my dads and i didn't have nothing...no reverse/1st/2nd/3rd/or 4th.. Now I will say The first breakdown after getting it back the first time from the rebuild may have been my fault due to poorly adjusted tv cable. "dought it though" but the second I triple checked it. even bought a new cable and bracket to be 100%.. And that's all I can really tell you. Didn't want to take it apart until i was ready to rebuild it.
Someone said I could of busted the pump by not having the converter all the way on. I always check for it to slide 3 times, and if that were the case, I would not of been able to drive it from the start, right? Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to let you know what I knew about it.

Also, A few of the tools I seen that I can make at the shop and the one im worried about is the Turbine shaft teflon seal installer-resizer... does any one have any advice on that as well.... Or any little things that could be over looked that's not in the book or video besides normal inspection and care.

Thanks,
Darrell

See less See more
#2 ·
You really need to tear yours down and see what mods have been done . and whats wrong with it . I have started using Whatever It Takes, for all my parts . I get some really good prices from them . Just call and setup an account with them . After you get it apart post back for some good mods for your trans .

#6 ·
parts help

Can someone tell me the differance between these two part?
Are they the same only higher performance? If i get the super servo would i have to get the corvette 2nd gear servo also?

Dont want to buy the same part

Web site http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=35952&Search.x=20&Search.y=11

corvette servo http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700R4_4L60E_Corvette_servo_piston_p/350-000035952.htm

super servo http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700R4_Super_servo_piston_p/350-00035952a.htm

#7 ·
the corvette servo and super servo are both servos for the 2nd gear apply of the band.

The Superior brand super servo is larger apply area than the vette servo.

You can buy both , but only use 1 at a time in the trans.

If you use the Superior brand super servo , make sure you have a HP band with larger - stronger struts on the band

#8 ·
Crosley said:
the corvette servo and super servo are both servos for the 2nd gear apply of the band.

The Superior brand super servo is larger apply area than the vette servo.

You can buy both , but only use 1 at a time in the trans.

If you use the Superior brand super servo , make sure you have a HP band with larger - stronger struts on the band

is this adequate or is this not even what your referring to... Sorry just learning all the names of every thing....
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=350-00035995B&CartID=1

#10 · (Edited)
wild_man84 said:
or if you wouldnt mind....

which one of these would you recamend with the super servo and which one with the corvette servo

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700R4_4L60E_transmission_band_s/5525.htm

also, I know that I will have to replace my clutches and im "guessing" the steels! what should i get with my set-up..
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700R4_Transmission_clutches_s/5528.htm

Here is what Im getting so far from Transmission parts usa.....
35002 700R4 Transmission master kit 1987-92
35920 700R4 Transmission filter 1987-92
35602 700R4 4L60E Transmission bushing kit 1982-95
35952A 700R4 4L60E 4L65E transmission super servo, Superior Performance
77998-03K 700R4 4L60E transmission 1-2/3-4 pinless accumulator piston kit
35335B 700R4 4L60E Transmission 3rd accumulator check ball & seat
35098C 700R4 transmission valve body separator plate 1981-93.
77917-04K 700R4 OEM style .500" TV boost valve.
77917-08 700R4 Transmission pressure regulator spring.
35670 700R4 4L60E 4L65E Transmission thrust washer kit
35764CDK 700R4 4L60E Deluxe 13 vane pump upgrade.
35995RPB 700R4 4L60E transmission high performance red lined power band 2 5/8" wide
35823AHD The Beast 700R4 4L60E Transmission sun gear shell.
35836 700R4 4L60E Transmission Complete Gear Train

Crosley... If your going to be on and about here tomorrow, I will be tearing it down in the morning to check whats bad and good...
Is there anything else that you would recommend on going ahead and replacing while im inside? About to take a trip to Colorado, so i want to be safe and not sorry. lol

#11 ·
was wrong about the spine count.....

Ok.. the 700r4 i am GOING to rebuild..... today 2/28/10 well I assumed it was a 30 spline only because its out of an 89 silverado.... Well, Im about to tear it down and I count the spline (drive shaft end) and its a 27 spline..... I dont want to rebuild a weak tranny.. and i just turn it into a 30 spline. or am i out of luck and need to buy another newer model 700r4 with 30 spline.... if anyone could please answer this as quickly as possible it would be much appreciated

thanks,
Darrell 9:15 am

#13 ·
wild_man84 said:
Ok.. the 700r4 i am GOING to rebuild..... today 2/28/10 well I assumed it was a 30 spline only because its out of an 89 silverado.... Well, Im about to tear it down and I count the spline (drive shaft end) and its a 27 spline..... I dont want to rebuild a weak tranny.. and i just turn it into a 30 spline. or am i out of luck and need to buy another newer model 700r4 with 30 spline.... if anyone could please answer this as quickly as possible it would be much appreciated

thanks,
Darrell 9:15 am
Ok, I wrote this and then googled and read where it was referring to the input shaft being a 30 spline.... The shaft where the tq. conv. goes the first set of gears is 30 count... is this what everyone is referring to when they say 27-30 spline???

#15 ·
wild_man84 said:
just keeping everyone up to date with the teardown.. I just found one problem... the 1-2 accumulator housing was in wrong. the piston was on top of the spring ....

not wrong... GM changed the install method on later units.

It works either way.

#17 ·
wild_man84 said:
Well, guess thats my wrong for saying then... lol...

also, I didnt have a check ball under my axillary valve body.. is this new or wrong...

if the check ball in the aux v-body is not contained by a small cage ... the ball often falls into the separator plate hole into the trans case as the aux v-body is removed.

Do you have a manual for this rebuild? An ATSG manual is very useful for the new DIY person on this transmittin

#18 ·
funny you should ask... I do only its at the shop where i work.. Cant get in till Monday.. I did also buy the video from gm... I borrowed the pump puller and spring compressor and have to have back Monday. so I have to get it done (tear down) today..

I did find the check ball behind a lock. went a head and got it out.. Im down to the point where i have to use the spring compressor now.

#20 · (Edited)
wild_man84 said:
Ok, I found a problem.. Well, I think its a problem...
My Input clutch Drum.....On the inside. The lugs near the top are chewed up. Can this be filed smooth and reused, or do I have to get a new one. if I have to get a new one, What distributor would you recommend on going to
My reverse input clutch is bellied in the middle where the band rides..

#25 ·
I need to replace all the clutches and steals in my 700r4.... does transmissions usa sell a clutch steals kit for all of them. Of PATC. what is a good materiel to use for what i have.. Im not going to be drag racing with 800hp so I dont need something that real expensive. Only something that's stand-able to 450hp and tq. Just to be on the safe side.

Plus, by upgrading the parts in the list, I dont want to over power other parts inside.. Im new to the transmission world so please forgive my ignorance. i just would rather ask instead of playing know it all and wast time and money..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.