Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 rebuild with wider low reverse roller clutch
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
A suggestion I have used a few decades:

set the low - reverse clutch pack into the case dry... no planetary unit or other items in the way. Set it up eggzackly how it will operate in the trans. No roller clutch , no race , nothing to get in your way

Set the center support in place , look through the bottom of the case at the clearance. there is an opening there...

A long time accepted clearance for double sided frictions and flat steel plate is .010 per friction. 5 frictions would be .050 clearance.

If you have compressed air ... install the snap ring for the center support and test the apply through both ports
Good to know.
It looks like I have about 90-100 thou clearance in the low/reverse pack looking through the slot in the bottom. I'll check it again when I get the new center support. I understand it will change. But if it doesn't I will need to find some different thickness selective plates. I'll talk to Dana at Pro-built about getting some different plates to set the clearance correctly. Is there a problem running the clutches on the loose side?

I did find another part that is interestingly misplaced. The reverse input drum matches the description of the early 1987 variety according to the manual. And the oil pump has the smaller hole size between the seals that indicates 1987 model. Wierd. The entire insides of this transmission seem to be the early style. The reverse input drum has the checkball capsule in it, and it also uses the steel piston inside.

I haven't looked at the valvebody closely yet. I wonder if I wll see some early model parts here too.