700R4 rebuild with wider low reverse roller clutch - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dang. I also see that I don't have the auxillary valve body on this transmission. Should have changed the title of this thread to "What year is this transmission?" And since I didn't even know what I'm looking at until I read about it here or in the manual, I'm not quite sure what to do with this core I have on my hands. It doesn't really match my rebuild kit. And I think its prudent to have the later model improved parts that GM installed. I need a strong transmission for this project. I basically have an early 87 trans housed in a 1991 case.

So should I hunt around for a new core that really has the later model internals?

Or is it pretty straightforward to add the good later model parts to this older core. I see that this is starting to add alot of cost to my otherwise budget transmisison build.

If I decide to upgarde all the weaker internal parts I need to know whats necessary to track down. Here is a list I came up with. This is just me going through the ATSG guide. Can you guys let me know if this is close to the right list of upgrade parts?

1. Need 88+ wider center support for low reverse roller clutch. ($20, on the way)
2. Need 88+ valve body
3. Need 88+ auxillary valve body.
4. Need 88+ reverse input drum and piston. ($99 new?
5. Need 88+ pump ???? Maybe? I have a late model stator shaft in the rebuild kit. Does swapping this bring the pump up to date?
6. Need some selective shims to make all these assembled parts and clutches work right and have correct spacing..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Get one 1988 and up.

Easy to spot.

Look for the "rainbow" casting flash on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700 ID.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	42993  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

this makes me wonder what numbers on what tag of this trnas you were reading. In your first post , you indicated that the trans was a 1991 vette unit and the numbers match that idea.

It would be good to know what to look for correctly on the next core to avoid another older unit. I've seen some 1991 - 92 -93 trans cases without the rainbow cast line on them

I would suggest another -newer core. the valve body calibrations are better - easier to work with on the 1988 - 1992 units..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.