Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

700R4 - RPM with TCC Locked vs Unlocked?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  metalhead2910 
#1 ·
I have an 85' GMC Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 700R4 trans (3.42 gears).
It has the 3-wire TCC lock-up arrangement and I am trying to validate the operation of the converter clutch.
The only thing I can tell is that when I unplug the TCC connector at the trans, the RPMs at any given speed in 3rd or 4th gear is about 150-250 RPM higher than when the plug is installed.
Does this sound about right?
For some reason I was expecting something a little more dramatic.
The trans shifts fine otherwise- I just can't tell (even with the tach) when the trans goes into or out of lock-up.
I verified all the wiring and the solenoid is getting 12 volts (I can hear it click when I apply 12 volts and the engine off).
I guess I just need a sanity check before I go tow the kids back to college next week and cook my trans. I think I'm OK but would like some confirmation.
Thanks!
Elm

#4 ·
HELP-Moderators???

Well what if the trans goes though all 4 gears OK...but when the torque converter is told to lock up(I ran a manual lock-up toggle switch into the cab) in 4th gear, and i know it's locking up...but the RPM's don't drop...does that tell me my torque converter is trash?

#5 ·
ezobens said:
I have an 85' GMC Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 700R4 trans (3.42 gears).
It has the 3-wire TCC lock-up arrangement and I am trying to validate the operation of the converter clutch.
The only thing I can tell is that when I unplug the TCC connector at the trans, the RPMs at any given speed in 3rd or 4th gear is about 150-250 RPM higher than when the plug is installed.
Does this sound about right?
For some reason I was expecting something a little more dramatic.
The trans shifts fine otherwise- I just can't tell (even with the tach) when the trans goes into or out of lock-up.
I verified all the wiring and the solenoid is getting 12 volts (I can hear it click when I apply 12 volts and the engine off).
I guess I just need a sanity check before I go tow the kids back to college next week and cook my trans. I think I'm OK but would like some confirmation.
Thanks!
Elm
Your RPM drop sounds correct, Stock converters usually don't slip anymore than 200-300 RPMs cruising.

#6 ·
metalhead2910 said:
Well what if the trans goes though all 4 gears OK...but when the torque converter is told to lock up(I ran a manual lock-up toggle switch into the cab) in 4th gear, and i know it's locking up...but the RPM's don't drop...does that tell me my torque converter is trash?
Either the converter lockup clutch is toast or the lockup solenoid is.

#7 ·
I give a second nod to the solenoid if you think it is wired correctly. I had on 200-4r rebuilt, and scratched my head for a week trying to find what I wired wrong putting it in. I had to drop the pan and swap the solenoid, and that did the trick. I had all 4 gears right, but no lockup in 4th until i swapped.

#8 ·
Took the truck down the road one day and lock-up suddenly hit in 4th gear...completely out of the blue, have been running it since and it's running alright. Dropped my number 5 cylinder though, no copmpression so now I'm getting the money to rebuild the engine. If it's not one thing, it's another. Thanks for your help guys. But I think you were right, something was off with the solenoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.