Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 Shift problem?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Shift problem?

Ive read tons of 700R articles and none seem to quite fit my scenario. I have a 85 Gmc Sierra classic swb 2wd. It has a factory 700R4. It had a 305 in it, and the last week I've spent swapping in a 350. Trans worked fine (by my standards) before engine swap. Shifts seemed a little slow and soft after it got heated up, but didn't seem like a big deal to me. Today, finished installing my new motor, broke it in, and started trying to tune the tv cable. Fluid level is good, and I spent 4 hours trying to work out the tv cable so that it would shift right. Never has. Always slams into gears, super-late, no matter where the cable is. I have a Holley 4160 carburetor, but I have the throttle bracket & nessecary geometry corrector for tv cable. I'm at a loss. The only thing I can come up with is something inside the transmission, and that I'm going to need a rebuild. I read the bowtie-overdrives article and that has lead me to believe that it has what they call the short spring syndrome. Advice?