700r4 shift problem,1st to 2nd - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 11:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 shift problem,1st to 2nd

Hey wazup,I just installed a 350HO&700r4 in my 95 Toyota 4x4,my problem is the slow soft shift from 1st to 2nd.I pickup this trans about three years ago from a Calf trans rebuilder with good reputation.This trans is a 90 case with many modification some are premiun friction,custom servo,modified accumulators,upgraded boost valves,modified governor,larger clutch packs many more.I know the TV cable is adjusted right and all line psi are good,but the shift from 1st to 2nd fells like a old power glide,with all these mods it should kick like a mule when you shift.The trans shifts ok from 2nd to 3rd and 4th,like I said 1st to 2nd is junk.Would the 2nd 4th servo be stuck,when I had pan off I air checked the servo by applying air into the fluid passage on bottom of case below the servo and just got air through the control valve,I didnt here the servo engage,or will it engage through this hole?Anyone with any input on this problem would be great.Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool Re: 700r4 shift problem,1st to 2nd

IF I understand yer post...... the hole you air checked is the one near the pan rail, under the servo ? That is not for air checking the apply servo. It is a relief hole so the servo does not hydraulically lock up in it's bore between apply pistons.

Air coming out of the v-body area when you apply air to this hole is normal. the servo will / should move though. If it does nothing, I would pull the servo for a visual check.

A soft 1-2 could be a bad accumilator, a check ball stuck in the separator plate hole. The plate wears heavily in the check ball area and the check ball can 'stick' in the large hole . Then all of the shift oil must move through the small hole which will soften the shift.

The band strut could be broken or heavily worn. Seen that many times with vette style or larger servos.

=========while we are discussing this hole near the pan rail, NEVER bolt on an aluminum tranny pan with NO gasket. If you cover this hole up, the servo will lock up hydraulically then cause some troubles with the band.

It is best to use a small chiesel and hammer to create a groove for the oil to travel from the hole to the inide of the case for release of pressure.

Quote:
Originally posted by root
Hey wazup,

I just installed a 350HO&700r4 in my 95 Toyota 4x4,my problem is the slow soft shift from 1st to 2nd.I pickup this trans about three years ago from a Calf trans rebuilder with good reputation.This trans is a 90 case with many modification some are premiun friction,custom servo,modified accumulators,upgraded boost valves,modified governor,larger clutch packs many more.

I know the TV cable is adjusted right and all line psi are good,but the shift from 1st to 2nd fells like a old power glide,with all these mods it should kick like a mule when you shift.The trans shifts ok from 2nd to 3rd and 4th,like I said 1st to 2nd is junk.

Would the 2nd 4th servo be stuck,when I had pan off I air checked the servo by applying air into the fluid passage on bottom of case below the servo and just got air through the control valve,I didnt here the servo engage,or will it engage through this hole?

Anyone with any input on this problem would be great.Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 shift problem 1st to 2nd

Hey Crosley,thanks for your reply I will check the servo first,you said by apply air through the hole on bottom rail of case you will get air through the control valve and also get the servo to move a little also?I remove the 1st&2nd accumulator and it look new.I hope its not the separator plate.What do you think with all the mods the trans should shift hard to 1st to 2nd Ya,I have a 50 chevy pickup with a 327 and a turbo 400 that John Kilgor built me 20 years ago and everytime I shift into 2nd slow or fast it will cherp the tires.I hope this 700r4 will perform half as good as the 400 I will be happy.I did talk to the rebuilder and he said to pull it out and send it back,pain in but to pull out plus Hawaii to calf shipping and down time is a killer.Thanks again Crosley I will let you know What I found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.