700R4 shift problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 shift problems

I have a 1965 Impala SS with a 454 LS6 crate motor and a 700R4 transmission. The car shifts perfectly (for my driving style) while driving normally around town or highway. The problem I am having is when pushed hard and the transmission left in Drive - like an impromptu stop light race (which I know is wrong...bad.. bad) the 1-2 shift is acceptable - around 5200 RPM but the 2-3 shift is way too soon - around 4000 RPM. Also there is no 2-1 downshift at slow speeds and no 3-2 downshift ever. There is a 4-3 downshift when required. When manually shifting during WOT, 1-2 is perfect, 2-3 will not upshift no matter when I put it in 3 until backing down. This severely hurts 1/4 mile times. Currently 0-60 times are just under 6 seconds.
Does anyone have some suggestions as to what the solutions to my problem(s) may be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

What Carb are you using?
Does it have the correct TV cable Bracket?
and TV cable Geometry Corrector Bracket?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Hey, thanks for your interest. I am using a Holley 4160 750 CFM carb with the 700R4 TVC adapter from Summit. I have also tried an Edelbrock, also with the adapter from Summit. The transmission was built with the LS6 BB in mind and has a mild shift kit installed.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccracken1@aol.com
I have a 1965 Impala SS with a 454 LS6 crate motor and a 700R4 transmission. The car shifts perfectly (for my driving style) while driving normally around town or highway. The problem I am having is when pushed hard and the transmission left in Drive - like an impromptu stop light race (which I know is wrong...bad.. bad) the 1-2 shift is acceptable - around 5200 RPM but the 2-3 shift is way too soon - around 4000 RPM. Also there is no 2-1 downshift at slow speeds and no 3-2 downshift ever. There is a 4-3 downshift when required. When manually shifting during WOT, 1-2 is perfect, 2-3 will not upshift no matter when I put it in 3 until backing down. This severely hurts 1/4 mile times. Currently 0-60 times are just under 6 seconds.
Does anyone have some suggestions as to what the solutions to my problem(s) may be?
i would say that its going to be valve body and governor calibration from what your describing. also from what i read, it makes me wonder if the shift linkage is set properly. because you say in o.d. automatically, that it shifts too soon on 2-3 @ WOT but, if you shift by hand, you have to lift to get it to shift 2-3.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

I agree ^^^. Sounds like the upshift problem may be Valvebody/Governor related. The downshift may be TV cable related.
Shift linkage should be checked 1st to insure proper manual Detent alignment.

Throttle & TV cable Bracket>> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-95/
TV Geometry Corrector Bracket>> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-700202/

TV 101 3-Part Article>> http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

TV cable Adjustment:
http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_C...etup_Info.html
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html
Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the great replies and suggestions. I have pretty much ruled out the TVC adjustment and alingment, but I am not too sure what you mean by linkage adjustment as it seems to all be just manual detents. I am taking it next week to a recommended shop to go through the valve body and governor paths. I have mostly come to the same conclusion that it is the valve body......some have said I need a 6 cylinder governor, some say to play with the springs (which I did remove one spring...not sure if it helped or not but it is shifting better than ever for "normal" driving).. but I will post again next week after the trip to the "expert".
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM

No news is not necessarily good news.... On an unrelated episode I took my driveshaft out to get checked for alignment, u-joints, and balance as I had a high speed vibration. Found a slightly worn u-joint and balanced the drive shaft and reinstalled it. I took the car on a test drive and after ~5 miles at speed was pleased that most of the aforementioned vibration was gone. On my way back home at around 60 mph I attempted an automatic 4-3 downshift via WOT. It dropped out of 4th but never went into 3rd and reved in neutral. I limped back home in 1st and 2nd. Loaded the car onto the trailer and took it to my chosen "expert" for post mortem....Still waiting to get to it to pull the transmission....maybe within the coming week. I am trying to tie my original problem to this catastrophic failure... any ideas. Once again, if it ain't broke....fix it 'til it is.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Ok, the end to this long sad story. The catastrophic failure of 3rd and 4th gears was caused by completely burned up clutches. When we disassembled the transmission the burned out 8 clutch pack was evident. Also inspection revealed that the case had a check valve and ball completely pressed out -for what reason we don't know. Additionally it did not appear to have any means for the torque converter to ever lock up, and speaking of torque converters, the one installed was a no name, generic, could not telll what it was, but it was a cheap one. Upon reassembly using a heavy duty clutch pack (6) the multi stack drum would not hold pressue when applied to 3/4 gears. This is probably why the transmission would never shift right during WOT. All this in a transmission that I purchased specifically built for my LS6. The transmission had less than 7000 miles on it. Since the car was rarely driven until lately, I never really had a chance to dial it in...and when I did start pushing it is when I noticed the problems. Since I purchased the transmission in Florida and now live in Arkansas, I can't go back to Mad Dog Transmissions in Tarpon Springs Florida But I did learn a valuable lesson the hard way......Don't trust an online builder without the abillity to do a one on one during checkout and until you know the transmission is competely satisfactory to you. You might be better off buying a rebuilt from a reputable parts dealer, driving it and if needed go to a recommended local shop to toughen it up. The parts dealer will at least take it back and exchange it if it needs it.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

Another "Mad Dog" horror story. I think He moved to Atlanta to get away from all his problems, still doing Trannys tho'.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 AM

I wish I had the car ready to really wring out the transmission when I first put it in. I doupt that Mad Dog would have been any help, I had reason to doubt his ability and proffesionalism before I even left his shop, but that was after I paid for the transmission and would be another long post. I will follow my mother's sage advise and not say anything about an underhanded, unqualified, scam artist if I can't say anything good about him.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM

A built LS6-454, and you are running a 700? I see many frustrating nights of pulling, rebuilding, and re-installing transmissions in your future..

I don't think there is a "kit" on the market that is going to help that transmission survive what you are attempting to do with it..

Want me to save you a few thousand dollars? Stop messing with 700's and go to either a TH400, or if you have the money step up to a 4L80E, or a 6L80E if you want/need over-drive.

Please keep us posted as to your progress. Keep track of what you have spent so far, and as you go. Shortly, if you keep messing with 700's you will have eclipsed what it would take to just buy a stronger transmission. I'd bet you are either already at the cost of a 4L80E, or you have surpassed it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.