700R4 shift problems with lock-up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 shift problems with lock-up

I have built a street rod with a ZZ4 crate; TCI Streetfighter Trans, 2200-2600 stall Converter; 12 bolt moser rear with 3.73 gears, posi 30 spline axles etc.
I have had the car on the road for about a year. I have had problems with shift from day 1. I installed the lock-up so that I could lock-up in 2, 3 also, it is suppose to automatically go into lockup in 4th. I have a Edelbrock carb and I have purchased the bracket for the throttle to correct goetry on the tvi cable. I have a lokar tvi cable also. I am sure that I have the tvi cable set close to right, because I set the ending at wot and the beginning point by pressure gauge. My problem is: I am shifting ok in 1-2, 2-3 but I am going into 4th at about 35-40 mph (too early) and immediately going into lockup and the car is laboring until I get the RPM's up a little, but if I share down on the accelerator real hard, I am getting a surge in and out until I increase speed to about 45-50. Kinda like the vacuum is right at the point of shift, so I purchased GM # 14020691 vacuum valve and placed in vacuum line from ported vacuum. This helped a little but not much. I need some pointers on what to do next, any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

you are going to still want to fine tune the cable which means driving it and pulling the cable back one click at a time if that does not work you will have to drop the valve body and check the tv spring and the l/u valve in the pump make sure they dont stick even a little bit
Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Jeltonb, I was hoping you would get more replies, as I have the same issues with a 200 4r. I have the TCI lock up kit in mine, and have adjusted the vacumm switch many times along with the TV cable. I have it as close to being right as you can get it. But like you it goes into lock up as soon as you hit 4th. gear, but if you accelerate to much it surges in & out of lock up.
I hope you get some more responces to help us both out.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 AM

what did you all do to the trany knowing this might help me fiqur it out please dont tell me nothing
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

As mentioned make sure the TV cable is set correctly .

to raise the shift point to 4th gear ( over drive) the spring on the shift valve needs to be changed.

Or , drive in shifter position "3" , then shift to OD when needed.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM

If your trans came out of a vehicle with a numerical lower gear than your now present 3.73 gear your governor may need some recalibration. Your drive shaft is spinning faster with the heavier weights and lighter springs that were just right for a Caprice with a 2.41 rear.
If you have a good Chevy Parts man he can look up the right governor assy for something with a 700 and a 3.73 gear . 200 R4 guys might try a Grand National Buick or an SS Monte Carlo governor for a 3.73 . V6 Camaro`s and 4 Cylinder S10`s also had 700`s and low geared rear ends that would make your machinery shift later.

Dan Hurst
Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

TC lockup speed controller

If all else fails you can try one of these.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They're on Ebay alot too. I picked one up new for $40.

Last edited by SSedan64; 02-24-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 AM

put a switch on it to turn the lock-up off untill you need it , like when you get up to high way speed.

thats what i did , works great
now im messin with the governor springs and weights!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 AM

I tried to use a lockup kit with a vacuum switch with little success. I ended up replacing the 4th gear pressure with one that is normally open and switching the lockup with a toggle switch. I also have it wired through the brake switch so it unlocks when you press the brake pedal.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.