700r4 shift times is this ok? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 07:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 shift times is this ok?

I have a 700r4 trans and 3.55:1 rear gears in a 1940 ford.

The transmission was installed by a trans shop. The car used to have a 350th and 2.79 gears.

The car runs good but I think the car shifts to early. I have read many articles about setting the TV cable. After looking at mine I realized that WOT could never be achieved. I set the T.V. cable the way many instructions say to do it. Fully pulled at WOT and about 3/8 - 1/2 pulled at idle. This change - which was about one or two clicks closer to the front of the car helped. When stepping on the gas harder it will wait till about 3,300 rpm before shifting.

I feel the trans shifts too early. I believe the TV cable is correct. I think the trans guy set the cable wrong because I told him I wanted firm shifts.

Here is what happens: 1-2 gear shift occurs at 10-13 mph and about 1500 rpm. 2-3 gear shift occurs at 20-25mph at about 1500rpm. During normal driving the car seems to only rpm to 1500 rpm before shifting gears. IS THIS TO EARLY?

My RPM at 70 is 2,200+ which is what the math said it should be.

Is the trans lugging the engine by shifting to early?

Do the governor springs need to be changed?

I really don't want to hurt the trans or incur more expense but I want it right. The car does drive well. What do you guys think?

Advertisement

Last edited by evltwin; 04-23-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 06:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you are certain that the TV cable is set correctly, you can change the governor springs. Its possible that who ever built it used a different governor in yours than what was in it originally.

I recently re-did my TH350 and used the suggested springs from the shift kit. My tranny shifted just like yours. I put the stock ones back in and now it shifts at 4500 at WOT.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.