Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 Shifting Problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BuickGuy 
#1 ·
Hi This site is very informative. I am having problem with my 1990 Chevrolet truck 350 transmission 700R4. When am going about 55 mph and floor it until about 65 mph, after I come to a stop and start to accelerate again it do not want to shift out of first gear. And when I shift for neutral to drive there is a hard jerk. There is a little slippage from second to third. If I wait a while sometime it work, but better in the morning. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:(

#2 · (Edited)
mann1961 said:
Hi This site is very informative. I am having problem with my 1990 Chevrolet truck 350 transmission 700R4. When am going about 55 mph and floor it until about 65 mph, after I come to a stop and start to accelerate again it do not want to shift out of first gear. And when I shift for neutral to drive there is a hard jerk. There is a little slippage from second to third. If I wait a while sometime it work, but better in the morning. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:(

It sounds like the tranny is worn out , band not appling correctly , 3rd gear is a common problem area.

Could be a bad accumilator for 2nd gear causing troubles. Worn acc is a problem with this tranny

Is the TV cable hooked up & adjusted correctly?

#3 ·
Sounds like a problem I had three times:

1st time: TV cable broke interally ($30.00)

2nd time: TV cable retainer pulled through the bracket just behind the throttle-body (free)

3rd time: Tranny was shot (never smelled tranny fluid that burnt). Junkyard sold me one for $500, still working two years later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.